Bus Drivers- smile please

I myself have had plenty of customer service experience and happen to know that, if i was to mistreat a customer and not greet them with atleast a smile, i'd most certainly be out of a job. why is this different for bus drivers?

Guest busdriver1
Cheer up Grumpy!!:)

just bored with the repetetive "lets bash bus driver" threads.

Folks come on here and tear them apart and then expect them to return the favour with smiles.

its not all bus drivers! some i agree but most drivers are just trying to earn a living and have to put up with some right abuse from passengers so im not suprised some are grumpy!!

I don't get your point at all. I have to deal with grumpy and angry people often, however I do not assume everyone will be like this and I great them with a smile and polite. Not grumpy.

In my past three years using busses in Sheffield I would say 70% plus don't even acknowledge you are there apart from giving you change.

I myself have had plenty of customer service experience and happen to know that, if i was to mistreat a customer and not greet them with atleast a smile, i'd most certainly be out of a job. why is this different for bus drivers?

If the worst you can say about any bus driver is that s/he doesn't smile then you have nothing to complain about. I reckon the average bus driver must have hundreds of passengers every day. Do you think drivers should smile at every last one of them? They'd be off work with torn cheek muscles in no time. I've never seen a bus driver's contract of employment but I'm sure there's nothing in there about having to smile at everyone.

The only things I'm bothered about with a driver is that they drive carefully and actually stop at a bus stop instead of going straight past despite passengers standing there with their arms out. Some do this and some even go past the stop after you've rung the bell well in advance. But the only ones who wind me up most are the ones who speed, catch kerb corners or, in one example recently, hit lampposts but drive on as if nothing happened.

in the past i have received abuse from bus drivers and also on numerous accounts disrespect. so the fact that they don't smile plays a very small role in my argument. however in response to what you have said, the should greet every customer with a smile regardless of how many they have to deal with, i myself greet every customer with a smile and the company i work for deal with a large number of customers every day. a good level of customer service is a must when you are a customers first "port of call".

Archived