Bus Drivers- smile please

I'm sick of all the nicey nicey yes sir three bags full sir crap and us trying to emulate the USA with plastic "customer service", when i buy something i couldn't care how miserable the seller is as long as i get the goods/service i'm paying for.

Who cares if the bus driver smiles at you, doesn't make your journey any faster does it.

We're English and miserable, embrace it.

I myself have had plenty of customer service experience and happen to know that, if i was to mistreat a customer and not greet them with atleast a smile, i'd most certainly be out of a job. why is this different for bus drivers?

in the past i have received abuse from bus drivers and also on numerous accounts disrespect. so the fact that they don't smile plays a very small role in my argument.

Your OP (first above) talks about smiling and nothing else apart from mistreating which you don't define except to include not smiling. Your reply to me says smiling only plays a small role in your argument. In fact smiling in your OP was your only argument. Just because you personally do one thing in your job doesn't mean that someone in a completely different job should do the same. Maybe smiling is in your job contract. It's certainly not in any bus driver's.

I myself have had plenty of customer service experience and happen to know that, if i was to mistreat a customer and not greet them with atleast a smile, i'd most certainly be out of a job. why is this different for bus drivers?

Hi myro.I too have had extensive and intense c/s training and to be honest i think we just now notice when anything below the level of c/s we give is so noticable.We think,how rude ect.I know i do wether or not its bus drivers,asda,post office ect.I now expect to deal with a happy person all the time and think if i can do it....So can they..:)

I'm sick of all the nicey nicey yes sir three bags full sir crap and us trying to emulate the USA with plastic "customer service", when i buy something i couldn't care how miserable the seller is as long as i get the goods/service i'm paying for.

Who cares if the bus driver smiles at you, doesn't make your journey any faster does it.

We're English and miserable, embrace it.

I agree about the 'plastic' customer service. I can't stand the fake 'hi, how are you' crap from someone I don't know, who doesn't actually give a damn how I am and is doing this to sell something to me!!

That said, many (note - NOT all) bus drivers are truly useless with customer service. I am very pleased I only need to use a bus occasionally as I've experienced:

• Buses driving past a stop after the person at the front of the queue tried to flag them down (these were NOT full/out of service)

• Bus doors being closed in the face of a passenger trying to get on. I've seen this happen twice and in neither case was the bus close to being full (not that that's an excuse really!!)

• Being given a free OAP ticket after paying full fare. I don't think that the 'no harm done as drivers are low paid and you still get to travel on the bus' argument holds as the passenger would be fined if an inspector got on.

• When I used buses to travel to work, I used to buy a monthly saver ticket and was at least 50% not even acknowledged even with a nod when I showed this to the driver. Oh, except the time when I was ignored by the driver but then bellowed at to go back and show the ticket when I walked past him after being ignored.

So no need for OTT fake plastic customer service but if drivers just stopped when people wanted to get on the bus, provided the correct ticket, didn't shut doors in passengers faces and maybe just said 'thanks' when a passenger shows a pass that would be good:roll:

I agree about the 'plastic' customer service. I can't stand the fake 'hi, how are you' crap from someone I don't know, who doesn't actually give a damn how I am and is doing this to sell something to me!!

That said, many (note - NOT all) bus drivers are truly useless with customer service. I am very pleased I only need to use a bus occasionally as I've experienced:

• Buses driving past a stop after the person at the front of the queue tried to flag them down (these were NOT full/out of service)

• Bus doors being closed in the face of a passenger trying to get on. I've seen this happen twice and in neither case was the bus close to being full (not that that's an excuse really!!)

• Being given a free OAP ticket after paying full fare. I don't think that the 'no harm done as drivers are low paid and you still get to travel on the bus' argument holds as the passenger would be fined if an inspector got on.

• When I used buses to travel to work, I used to buy a monthly saver ticket and was at least 50% not even acknowledged even with a nod when I showed this to the driver. Oh, except the time when I was ignored by the driver but then bellowed at to go back and show the ticket when I walked past him after being ignored.

So no need for OTT fake plastic customer service but if drivers just stopped when people wanted to get on the bus, provided the correct ticket, didn't shut doors in passengers faces and maybe just said 'thanks' when a passenger shows a pass that would be good:roll:

Your summary is exactly what is needed - no more / no less.

I would hate to be a bus driver.

Ignorant/smelly/obnoxious/self-centred people all around me, and that's before I even get in the cab.

Then people who can't be bothered to even tell Me where they want to go, people who just cannot tear themself away from their cellphone call throwing what they think is the right money at Me, Drunks, Junkies, Insolent kids, Disabled people who think they are the most important people on earth because of it, Imbeciles, Cretins, The list goes on and on and on....

All this AND having to drive safely, stop every 2 minutes and contend with motorists who hate you because you may make them 10 seconds late because you have to pull out?

And all that for a rubbish wage and awful hours.

I wouldn't have much to smile about either...

And then when their shift ends, the books have to tally and everything has to be on time even if there is some major hold up/roadworks etc etc......

No wonder the poor guys dont have much to smile about.

I'm not nor have been a bus driver, nor would I want to be thank you very much.

Hi myro.I too have had extensive and intense c/s training and to be honest i think we just now notice when anything below the level of c/s we give is so noticable.We think,how rude ect.I know i do wether or not its bus drivers,asda,post office ect.I now expect to deal with a happy person all the time and think if i can do it....So can they..:)

I agree entirely, there is no excuse for poor customer service. if u dnt like what ur doing don't let it reflect in your work, discuss it behind the scenes with the management.

Archived