Wartime evacuation of Sheffield

louise

• 3 months later...

both l and my sister were evacuated from Sheffield l believe it was from the Midland station and l also believe we were housed in seperate homes in Shiregreen Notts.Dont know if thats any help to you.Perhaps my sister remembers more,she's three years older than l.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I was evacuated to a little place called Shepshed near Loughborough, along with another boy we were placed with a lovely elderly couple and I stayed for 11 months. Returning to Sheffield just in time for the Sheffield Blitz in Septembr 1940. is there anyone else around who was also sent to Shepshed?

Hi, In my last message I should have mentioned we were evacuated from St Mary's school at Walkley Sheffield, I remember not being very happy about leaving home, so I ran away (not far) but of course they soon located me and off I went on a new adventure! The other boy with me was called Dennis, and I seem to remember we were about the last ones to be found 'homes'

Nobody seemed to want us! (sad story isn't it)

Yes my 2brothers and I was shiped very early 1939 I think to Burton-on Trent,It didn't last long 3 tykes fm Penistone Rd were far too rough for the 3 nice familys, we got sent back quick,I now feel sorry for them having to put up with us,even for so short a time.