Is smacking children as necessary as cuddling them?

the fact I got smacked meant that I had a subconscious relationship between running out in front of cars and pain - therefore something I would try to avoid in future.

I get that with broccoli. My Mother (a wonderful woman also, I must add) thought it fine to give me a slap because I didn't like it. In this context the violence was not punitive, it was a loss of temper - no more and no less.

I've said it before, but I couldn't give a solid 100% ban against smacking. There are some cases where it could be justified, but the automatic assumption that "hitting a child = discipline" is often, in my view, extremely misplaced. The child I know that is smacked the most is the one who hits his parents back the most.

Many of those children have been poorly parented and subjected to endless violence to the extent where they normalise it. You can still establish boundaries and discipline without resorting to smacking. There are plenty of other sanctions.

I've been asking for fifty years, but still don't have an answer from anybody.

What do you do if your child refuses to accept these other sanctions?

Does that conclude that children who are not smacked become failures? Do they become successful because of physical discipline or they were going to be successful anyway regardless of the violence.

Archived