Is smacking children as necessary as cuddling them?

I still maintain that the pain of a short sharp smack is the only way to convey that mythering the dog is going to hurt, unless I just let the pair of them get on with it. H just isn't the kind of kid who is going to consider sitting on the bottom of the stairs for a minute any sort of deterrent in this situation

Parents need an arsenal from which to select appropriate deterrents from in different circumstances, and for different children

I have a cousin who could never be slapped as it just inflamed her and the situation escalated out of control

I still maintain that the pain of a short sharp smack is the only way to convey that mythering the dog is going to hurtl

Try explaining it? And then insist on it. We don't have many unbreakable rules, and the phrase 'this one is non-negotiable' seems to work. We always explain why there are some rules though.

If the kid still botherrs the dog, the dog will let them know it doesn't like it.

And if the dog might let them know in a way that will be dangerous, get rid of the dog before it happens

I still maintain that the pain of a short sharp smack is the only way to convey that mythering the dog is going to hurt, unless I just let the pair of them get on with it. H just isn't the kind of kid who is going to consider sitting on the bottom of the stairs for a minute any sort of deterrent in this situation

Parents need an arsenal from which to select appropriate deterrents from in different circumstances, and for different children

I have a cousin who could never be slapped as it just inflamed her and the situation escalated out of control

My son is a stubborn little mule, and I admit that I have slapped his legs/hand a few times as a last resort. It worked although I did not like doing it. These days I can actually talk to him and he understands consequences of naughty behaviour (i.e. hurting people, having an accident etc) but when he was a little younger he didn't.

I did not leave a mark, I did not do it willy nilly and I was not 'out of control' with rage although I would prefer to try other means of discipline first.

Of course it is. The lesson is I hit you because I love you and I can because I am bigger than you, also might is right. It's legal to assault kids as long as they are your own? Come on!

one thing i cant stand to see is parents trying to reason with there child when its kicking off and clearly not listening. i think the occasional slap to keep your kids in line is fair enough, and they learn far quicker than if you stood there letting them run riot. i think you should be able to give other peoples kids a slap as well because some of them bloody need it, but thats another story.

one thing i cant stand to see is parents trying to reason with there child when its kicking off and clearly not listening. i think the occasional slap to keep your kids in line is fair enough, and they learn far quicker than if you stood there letting them run riot. i think you should be able to give other peoples kids a slap as well because some of them bloody need it, but thats another story.

One thing I can't stand to see if the police trying to reason with people when they're kicking off and clearly not listening. I think the occasional slap to keep them in line is fair enough.

So should the police be allowed to hit people?

I think you should be able to give other people a slap as well because some of them need it

So should I be able to slap people who annoy me?

One thing I can't stand to see if the police trying to reason with people when they're kicking off and clearly not listening. I think the occasional slap to keep them in line is fair enough.

So should the police be allowed to hit people?

The police are allowed to hit people, when necessary. They're also allowed to handcuff them, physically drag them off, and lock them up in a jail cell.

With the sort of corporal punishment we are talking about, smacking, slippering and caning, what is more unsettling is the effect on the adult doling it out.

In my long and varied experience of corporal punishment, they always seemed to enjoy it despite pointed expositions for my benefit, apparently, claiming they did not.

I imagine their computers history is full of weird stuff too. :hihi:

The police are allowed to hit people, when necessary. They're also allowed to handcuff them, physically drag them off, and lock them up in a jail cell.

The situations when the police can hit you are defined in law, and there is a clear procedure to follow if you are unhappy about it. Not that I am suggesting the law is always followed, or that the follow up is always fair.

However, my analogy was with parents hitting their kids for 'being naughty'

So I was rather suggesting that for an adult a similar - if not identical - situation would be if the police could just hit you without fear of reprisal if an individual policeman thought you were being naughty.

I'm not sure anyone would be happy with that, and equally I'm not sure why, therefore, people think it's ok for adults to hit children.

What age does this 'right' to hit your children stop?

Would it be ok for my parents to hit me if they thought I had done something wrong? I'm in my thirties.

Are you still a child then or an adult? The reason we have feral kids is because they get no discipline. To say you are a child at 30 is plain silly

Archived