Is smacking children as necessary as cuddling them?

But she was also the first year to have gone through junior school when corporal punishment was illegal if she's now 37.

Coincidence?

No it was never in force while she was in Junior School, she just had very good strict teachers and she thought they were good teachers which has stood her in good stead as she has good job, lovely husband and beautiful intelligent daughter.

Actually it wasn't made illegal until 1987 apparently - I stand corrected. Must have been a policy decision made by my junior school when the change in law was being discussed.

Your anecdote still doesn't constitute evidence though - some schools produce better behaved pupils than others for a long list of reasons.

Being firm, having a consistent approach and setting clear boundaries should in most cases, obviate the need for smacking. I could never condone hitting a kid although like Halibut, I probably hit mine in total about 3 times when they were young, which I deeply regret. Once was when my youngest ran out into a road when she was about 3 and I was so freaked out that I smacked her on her behind. The other two times, my eldest had a tap on his wrist.

I was slippered, rulered and hit as a child and all it did was give me grim sense of satisfaction that I had wound up my parents to such an extent that they had lost control, so effectively, it gave me a sense of power which is counter-productive and defeats the purpose. Nor did it deter me from my next thrashing induced misdeamour.:hihi: Children do need discipline and it irks me somewhat when I see the 'modern parents' trying to negotiate with a truculent 3 year old.

Furthermore, instead of discussing your anecdote as though it were fact, how about addressing the question as to why it's ok to hit kids, but not adults?

Because children need to know boundaries or when they are putting themselves in danger, adults should know this if they have had this discipline as a child. Does that make it clear?

Because children need to know boundaries or when they are putting themselves in danger, adults should know this if they have had this discipline as a child. Does that make it clear?

We haven't established how hitting them sets boundaries, and if so, why it doesn't work with adults.

So you haven't made the case at all, I'd say.

You can let them know where the boundaries are and remove them from danger without hitting them though; so why do you insist on the need to hit them?

You can let them know where the boundaries are and remove them from danger without hitting them though; so why do you insist on the need to hit them?

What i find funny is that you, who say smacking is so wrong has actualy admitted to smacking their child where as i who thinks smacking is ok if used under certain circumstances has not.

Archived