Is smacking children as necessary as cuddling them?

We haven't established how hitting them sets boundaries, and if so, why it doesn't work with adults.

So you haven't made the case at all, I'd say.

The boundaries set as a child carry them into adulthood when they are then responsible for their own lives. Adults who step ouitside boundaries will be punished under the law.

You can let them know where the boundaries are and remove them from danger without hitting them though; so why do you insist on the need to hit them?

I don't insist on it I am merely saying that sometimes under controlled circumstances it could be necessary. My parents weren't overly strict but I and my brother knew how far we could go. I had a loving and happy childhood until I lost my dad when I was 16 and my brother 14.

I don't insist on it I am merely saying that sometimes under controlled circumstances it could be necessary. My parents weren't overly strict but I and my brother knew how far we could go. I had a loving and happy childhood until I lost my dad when I was 16 and my brother 14.

I cannot think of any circumstances at all where it would be neccessary to hit a child, can you?

I have smacked/hit both of my own children when they were young, thankfully on a very small number of occasions. I have always apologised to them immediately and always deeply regretted it. These incidents arose simply due to my own sense of frustration and anger and were nothing to do with teaching them anything, just expressions of a failing on my part.

Smacking and hitting children cannot be about 'teaching them' anything - other than that sometimes their adult carers let them down and lose control.

I cannot think of any circumstances at all where it would be neccessary to hit a child, can you?

Well as ive never hit my kids i honestly couldnt say. But seeing as you hit/have hit your kids maybe you can shed some light?

Well as ive never hit my kids i honestly couldnt say. But seeing as you hit/have hit your kids maybe you can shed some light?

I already did earlier in the thread, but to paraphrase myself, it certainly wasn't neccessary, it was a failing on my part. I was wound up and short tempered. It shouldn't have happened.

Smacking as opposed to punching. A 2 year old running in to the road would be one example in order to instill into them that they should not do this. Infinitely preferable to them getting killed by a car I would say. Being cruel to an animal would be another. How many do you want?

Archived