Is smacking children as necessary as cuddling them?

Any thoughts on this blog post by Andrew Lilico (an economist)

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thecolumnists/2012/02/andrew-lilico-smacking-is-the-partner-of-cuddling-kissing-and-rough-and-tumble.html

Highlights include:

campaigners against smacking do not, have not, and will never delivered us a super-nanny utopia. All that they can achieve for us is a discipline-free Lord of the Flies hell.

and

Smacking is the partner of cuddling, kissing, and rough-and-tumble. I smack my children as an expression of my special parent-child relationship of touch. I of course do it primarily for them, but not only for them but also as an expression of who I am.

Thoughts?

Smacking when done with love and for the right reasons can be an important part of a childs development. It can keep them on the straight and narrow, teach them right from wrong.

Im lucky, ive never had to do it but i dont disagree with some parents who feel they do need to do it.

Smacking when done with love and for the right reasons can be an important part of a childs development. It can keep them on the straight and narrow, teach them right from wrong.

Im lucky, ive never had to do it but i dont disagree with some parents who feel they do need to do it.

I hit you because I love you? Lazy parenting that's all it is.

Of course it is. The lesson is I hit you because I love you and I can because I am bigger than you, also might is right. It's legal to assault kids as long as they are your own? Come on!

Come on what?

People should be allowed to decide for themselves how they dicipline their own kids.

I sind the second part of what Lilicot says quite disturbing - ''Smacking is the partner of cuddling, kissing, and rough-and-tumble. I smack my children as an expression of my special parent-child relationship of touch. I of course do it primarily for them, but not only for them but also as an expression of who I am.

If part of him is someone who thinks that hitting a child and causing it pain is a loving act on a par with kissing and cuddling, then he has a problem going on.

I sind the second part of what Lilicot says quite disturbing - ''Smacking is the partner of cuddling, kissing, and rough-and-tumble. I smack my children as an expression of my special parent-child relationship of touch. I of course do it primarily for them, but not only for them but also as an expression of who I am.

If part of him is someone who thinks that hitting a child and causing it pain is a loving act on a par with kissing and cuddling, then he has a problem going on.

I have to agree that bit had me reaching for the :gag:bag

Archived