Why do women get upset so easily?

I dare say that mine does too, Lycra is not very forgiving. However, whatever the reason behind it, it is rude and can be intimidating to stare and to be greeted by random men.

But all men were 'random' to you once, weren't they? Before you knew them.

Is it always rude for men to "greet" you?

But all men were 'random' to you once, weren't they? Before you knew them.

Is it always rude for men to "greet" you?

Yes, but it's all about context. Lone females running out through the parks and into the Peaks? Would you say 'hello' under those circumstances? A lot men I know wouldn't as they don't like to make women feel uncomfortable. That is my point, and the OP, if he's for real, did not respect the woman he cracked that joke to. You have to think about how things can be construed with strangers.

Yes, but it's all about context. Lone females running out through the parks and into the Peaks? Would you say 'hello' under those circumstances? A lot men I know wouldn't as they don't like to make women feel uncomfortable. That is my point, and the OP, if he's for real, did not respect the woman he cracked that joke to. You have to think about how things can be construed with strangers.

I would be more likely to say hello to a woman under the described circumstances. I would hope that my being friendly would put her at her ease. I would suggest that if any lady feels threatened by the presence of men when they run along paths in the Peaks they should either jog elsewhere or take a partner with them.

This is not being sexist, but is merely common sense. There are places in Sheffield where I would not venture alone into at night and I am a big fit man.

You accost lone females in public? How long before you're on some kind of register?

It is very common knowledge that walkers and runners say hello to each other when out in the countryside. It is not something new or amazing. I find it pleasant. If you did not know this you should get up off your lard butt from behind your computer screen and get out more.

I think Mecurian has basically said what I was going to say - I'd be more likely to say hello in the circumstances you describe as I'd be intending to convey the impression that I was in some way 'looking out for' the runner, be they male or female.

Running in the street, I'd ignore you (unless you is proper fit)

Running on your own somewhere remote-ish - I'd probably acknowledge you in some way.

It's nothing to do with your gender. I think also there is something about being out of the city that makes people more sociable.

I would be more likely to say hello to a woman under the described circumstances. I would hope that my being friendly would put her at her ease. I would suggest that if any lady feels threatened by the presence of men when they run along paths in the Peaks they should either jog elsewhere or take a partner with them.

This is not being sexist, but is merely common sense. There are places in Sheffield where I would not venture alone into at night and I am a big fit man.

Who said anything about being threatened by the mere presence of men? Although I have encountered women who are, usually because they have been abused and raped.

Jog elsewhere or take a partner. Hmmm, jogging elsewhere, like the poster earlier who was at Hunters Bar? A partner, yes, but that is not always possible. Perhaps the solution lies not in women just staying in but certain men being a little more respectful and sensitive. Just a thought.

I went to the bar in a pub and was approached by a rather stressed , though polite, young lady who smiled and asked what I would like.

I told her what I wanted and as she was pulling my beer it stopped flowing.

"Oh dear it has gone off"

she remarked.

"Ah well I replied"

She then said

"A womans work is never done"

to which I replied (jokingly),

"Well that is because women do not work as quick as men and so never get their work finished"

I expected her to laugh at my little wisecrack , but she was far from amused.

Without going into detail , let me simply tell you that her customer service training went to the wall and she spoiled her manners.

Some people have no sense of humour!:mad:

She's obviously not well practiced at the banter yet, I hope that isn't something we lose to political correctness.

I went to the bar in a pub and was approached by a rather stressed , though polite, young lady who smiled and asked what I would like.

I told her what I wanted and as she was pulling my beer it stopped flowing.

"Oh dear it has gone off"

she remarked.

"Ah well I replied"

She then said

"A womans work is never done"

to which I replied (jokingly),

"Well that is because women do not work as quick as men and so never get their work finished"

I expected her to laugh at my little wisecrack , but she was far from amused.

Without going into detail , let me simply tell you that her customer service training went to the wall and she spoiled her manners.

Some people have no sense of humour!:mad:

Well if I'd have been working behind the bar and a woman said that to me I would have counted it with a likewise attempt at humour about the opposite sex. You just got unlucky and copped for a miserable cow...I'm sure not all women would have reacted like this. Well not the normal, "real women"..IMO..

Archived