Another really stupid idea from David Cameron

It's a fantastic idea if you are a rich man who wants to be richer. Imagine! The government (i.e. the taxpayer) paying half the cost of your domestic servants. Even the Toffs in Upstairs Downstairs never got that.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/09/boardroom-bathroom-david-cameron-women

David Cameron is examining the idea of tax breaks for people who hire cleaning or other household services, as a way of generating extra jobs and freeing more women so they can join the workforce. Speaking at a Nordic summit in Sweden, he said he was interested in its government's tax break that has been praised for reducing the hidden economy in cheap domestic labour.

The break, however, has proved hugely controversial in Sweden, leading to claims that it is regressive and class bound.

The Swedish government allows people to deduct from their tax bill half the cost of household services such as cleaning, cooking, lawn-mowing, snow-shovelling and babysitting.

But social democrats have claimed that a relatively small group of wealthy Swedes, earning more than 50,000 kronor (£4,700) a month, are far more likely to make use of the subsidised services than lower paid households. And mainly immigrant labour has benefited, they say.

Good idea. It's heartbreaking having to see decent people reduced to cleaning up their own mess and cooking for themselves. People in this country have forgotten what prols are for, and it is about time they remembered.

I've forgot what the prols are, in fact Google has :(

I would have more respect for him if he at least came out and admitted that his reasoning was to give more money to the rich, but he is being dishonest as usual. To pretend that his motivation is to create jobs is ludicrous and hypocritical . It is mealy mouthed tories like this that so remind me of the Thatcher era.

Ang on a minute...

David Cameron tempted to offer tax breaks to hire cleaners

Swedish perk allows half of cost to be deducted, but No 10 insists no overnight change in policy

Does this mean that this is a none story ?

Wake me up when they are saying that they are going to do it :D

I would have more respect for him if he at least came out and admitted that his reasoning was to give more money to the rich, but he is being dishonest as usual. To pretend that his motivation is to create jobs is ludicrous and hypocritical . It is mealy mouthed tories like this that so remind me of the Thatcher era.

The Daily Telegraph are trying to spin this as a policy for the "middle class".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/9073334/Tax-breaks-for-hiring-a-cleaner-could-save-middle-class-thousands.html

Now pardon me, but since when did middle managers have domestic staff? Has the term "middle class" really so devalued as to mean that if you can afford a million pound property in Frinton-On-Sea then you are middle class?

Archived