What is Aetheism 2.0?

FairDooz - Read anything you can by Stephenson, it's all good but Cryptonomicon, The Baroque Cycle & Anathem are leagues above his best SF, and his best SF is leagues above most and equal of the best there is.

Really, I don't want to gush, but if you get the chance...

I have a copy of Anathem for you for free if you want.

:hihi: You big gusher you. Now then as I'd forgotten my Amazon password so it's not yet ordered ... it would be rude of me not to accept your offer ... I'll pay postage

Did you watch Bottom's short lecture yet? Or perhaps I should be asking whether there's any point in you watching it in the future now that you have already decided the matter for yourself?

You've got a great reality tunnel, but it's not the only one - try something else out for even just a short while - it's not just fun, but educational too!

You're doing just fine at the patronising there.

:hihi:

Yes I have watched the lecture. It's actually right there in the link I posted. As I said, I like Alain de Botton, but don't like his current arguments.

He is finding favour with faithists though, and I listened to his special guest status with Rev Richard Coles last Saturday on R4 with this in mind.

BTW is your misspelling of his name an innocent mistake, or deliberate? You've done it twice now.

:huh:

He might be a very nice guy, but my opinion on his recent arguments is more in line with P Z Myers than yourself:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2012/01/19/alain-de-botton-is-right-about-one-thing/

OK that's a half decent attempt at an intellectual demolition job (!)

But the proposed marriage between the best of both worlds is about more than just intellect - as is any marriage.

Speaking of marriages ... think I'd better go now.

Is that "Atheism" or

New Atheism?

I think you'll will find that the author of the blog had his tongue planted firmly in his cheek as he posted that, sarcastically comparing "New Atheism" with "Atheism 2.0".

Just atheism thank you, without the capitals, or the extra "e".

RB - You may be comfortable with your aetheism, values and place in society, but what of the next generation?

As the influence of religion gets ever smaller, is there not a danger that we abandon our children to an amoral future with little attempt at moral guidance?

What do you mean "what of the next generation?" ?

Currently my 6 year old son is very intelligent, polite, thoughtful and caring. He learns and improves all the time. He is the next generation in my family. I haven't abandoned him to an amoral future.

What makes you think religious influence is necessary for moral guidance?

PS I'm sure the speaker understands the distinction between aetheism and antitheism, but that's a bit tangential to the point he's making.

No, he's generalising and insulting atheists, whether it's intentional or unintentional is tangential.

I know I've linked to this already in the [science VS Religion] thread

(which I guess is running to a rather messy end - and yes I have been unintentionally partially responsible for that, sorry!)

... but it didn't attract much comment and I personally think it deserves some attention.

Take a look - what do you think?

Q. Is there any mileage in looking for the common ground in the evolving values of aetheists and the evolving values of non-fundamentalist religions, or is it the case that logic and reason will always be incompatible with faith?

If you like, think of this as the Science AND Religion thread ...

Why? Is atheism now a science?

Q. Is there any mileage in looking for the common ground in the evolving values of aetheists and the evolving values of non-fundamentalist religions, or is it the case that logic and reason will always be incompatible with faith?

Help me out here... How can the lack of belief in something "evolve"?

"three days ago I had no belief; yesterday I really had no belief; today I really have no belief".

Praise the non-denominational-non-existant-metaphor for the existance of the "bold" "button".

Help me out here... How can the lack of belief in something "evolve"?

"three days ago I had no belief; yesterday I really had no belief; today I really have no belief".

Praise the non-denominational-non-existant-metaphor for the existance of the "bold" "button".

Exactamundo

EDIT: It's like the term "Extremist Atheist", someone going around with an explosive device shouting "I have no belief in God!! You better believe me or else!!!!"

Archived