Electric bin wagons-60 years on

I was at the side of a new super duper refuge lorry the other day,that boastfully displayed it ran on electricity-----if my memory does not faulter on me ,I am sure we had electric bin wagons over sixty years ago in Sheffield-painted a yellowish/cream colour,any old bod remember them as well?-----I also think British Rail had electric lorries---and we have had milk floats for donkeys years---

I don't remember Electric bin wagons,but I do remember Steam powered ones around 1945-6.Driven by a big chain.

Hi,

Dont remember any steam driven bin lorries but the old battery-powered ones were in two versions.

The later model had cream/green metal bodies, as descirbed earlier, with tandem rear axles and pneumatic tyres.

The original version: used in older parts of the city - such as Pitsmoor in the late 1940's - had wooden bodies, solid rubber tyres and were chain driven. There was also a van version of this type which went around picking up evil-smelling waste from businesses like fish shops.

This was in the days before most businesses had proper washing facilities for their workers and the poor guy who drove this van could get pretty "high" by the end of the day. I don't know how true this is but I was told he usually walked home from work because he was 'banned" from riding on the buses and trams.

Regards

Edited by Falls

Something like this

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoom&keywords=Ref_No_increment;MATCHES;(^| +)s12532($| +)&continueUrl=ZnJvbnRlbmQucGhwPyZrZXl3b3Jkcz1hbGwlM0JNQVRDSEVTJTNCJTI4JTVFJTdDKyUyQiUyOUR1c3RjYXJ0cyUyOCUyNCU3QyslMkIlMjkmYWN0aW9uPXNlYXJjaCZwYWdlPTI=

And the bins would be full of very heavy ash from the fires very labour intensive.

Some of these pic,s were of very early electric vehicles /battery powered from the 1920,s.

• 2 weeks later...
I was at the side of a new super duper refuge lorry the other day,that boastfully displayed it ran on electricity-----if my memory does not faulter on me ,I am sure we had electric bin wagons over sixty years ago in Sheffield-painted a yellowish/cream colour,any old bod remember them as well?-----I also think British Rail had electric lorries---and we have had milk floats for donkeys years---

Spot on i do remember the refuge trucks

I can remember those days particularly the milk floats. A few months ago I started lookig into alternative powered vehicles and first of all thought of hydrogen but not being a chemistry type, my forte is electronics, I decided to go for a hybrid. The plan is to buy a small car and rip out all the mechanical junk, engine, geearbox etc. I will have an electric motor driving each rear wheel each elecronically controlled by a pulse width modulation device. I've designed the electronics and found a 2003 Porche with a bad engine going for $2500. If anybody is interested in converting and you think I can help send me a P.M.