Trying to capture fading dreams - how would you put it?

HOW WOULD YOU PUT INTO WORDS THIS STRANGE SENSATION OF TRYING TO CAPTURE THE MEMORY OF FADING DREAMS??

I find it so puzzling how difficult it is to remember dreams when I wake up in the morning, sometimes the memories are quite vivid and available, but often enough there is just a vague sort of feeling and little bits and bobs floating around in my mind.

And when I try to remember, try to piece together or get closer to the dreams they slip further way, the harder I try the faster they drift off.

I find this a very curious and wondrous phenomenon and I am also curious how other people would describe how it feels to them, so I got his idea that I would like to start a kind of collection of impressions/descriptions - and I would love to hear from you if you want to add your thoughts and feelings to this collection. I have no plan/achievement as such in mind for this collection, it just feels like something I would like to do because it interests and tickles me. And also I am a kind of person who enjoys finding word and expressions for things that fit well and feel just right.

I have so far found one description in a book by Karin Alvtegen called Sacrifice:

"The dream was gone but not the feeling it left behind. Thin sticky threads of her consciousness held on to it and tried in vain to put it into context."

Has anyone else come across any other descriptions in books/texts/lyrics ... ??

Please add them and/or your own ways of putting it to the thread or pm me.

THANKS! Carola

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I thought I'll sort of re-active this post and see whether anybody has got any thoughts/ideas/quotes etc. they might like to share?

Please feel free to post a reply or pm me!

Hi Phanerothyme

Thanks for your post!

Your descriptions immediately speak to me, very vivid imagery, groping is a great word in this context, and so is the image of quicksilver spilling and sinking into dust (dust rather than sand!). Great!

I am curious, did these expressions come to you spontaneously or have you put this phenomenon into these words before?

Carola

I get the feeling that is 'borrowed' ;)

It may be - or equally may well not. He's an intelligent and eloquent person.

For me I'd say it's like clutching at falling shadows and the sparkling iridescence of a fish flipping from a sunny hand back into the green cool depths - breaking the surface and shimmying down with occasional flashes of deepening gold to remind you of the direction it's falling in.

I get the feeling that is 'borrowed' ;)

No finer accolade than that!

All my own work :P

Hi Phanerothyme

Thanks for your post!

Your descriptions immediately speak to me, very vivid imagery, groping is a great word in this context, and so is the image of quicksilver spilling and sinking into dust (dust rather than sand!). Great!

I am curious, did these expressions come to you spontaneously or have you put this phenomenon into these words before?

Carola

Spontaneously. I hate writing, but I love words. A nice short writing challenge is right up my street. Bright, Rivulets and Quicksilver are very common collocations though, but truth be told I'm having a major dream rebound at the moment, and feel like this everymorning.

Except that the "quicksilver memories" of my dream aren't toxic, so much as unbelievably odd.

Looking back, I think the "toxic presence" was a line too far and I should have left it at "into the dust".

Archived