JSA and work question please

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9074510/Many-parents-better-off-on-the-dole-after-tax-credit-changes.html

If you turn up to the interview covered in blood, mud and your own puke, then start gurning and speaking gobbledigook, they tend not to offer you the job in the first place.

yes but thats covered in another thread about working tax,this is a different question,so do you get penalised if you say no to the job even though your going to be worse off?

Can anyone answer me this question,if your on JSA and you have been offered a job of around 20 hrs per wk on minimum wage and your worse off can you turn down the job?

Didn't you know you have to work your way into debt?

yes but thats covered in another thread about working tax,this is a different question,so do you get penalised if you say no to the job even though your going to be worse off?

I'm not sure. If I were you I would ask at the jobcentre. But along the lines of, 'suppose I got a job and it worked out I was worse off working than on benefits?'

Ask about 'better off in work credit', that might still exist.

I'm not sure. If I were you I would ask at the jobcentre. But along the lines of, 'suppose I got a job and it worked out I was worse off working than on benefits?'

Ask about 'better off in work credit', that might still exist.

yes that seems good idea,thanks

I suggest you make an appointment with your adviser next week. Ask them to undertake a 'better off calculation'. It's a system they use to feed in all the available facts (ie salary details, working hours etc) and it will work out whether you'd be better off financially of starting the job taking into account the changes in council tax, housing benefit, tax credits etc.

Can anyone answer me this question,if your on JSA and you have been offered a job of around 20 hrs per wk on minimum wage and your worse off can you turn down the job?

You shouldn't be worse off unless you fail to claim possible means-tested benefits you can still get while working (housing benefit, council tax benefit, tax credits) or your work expenses are so high they take a large chunk of your wage. Ask at the job centre about other benefits and also about N I credits as you'll not earn enough to pay your stamp.

Archived