More than 1 in 3 outstanding residential mortgages are interest only!

That only works when house prices are going up. But let's say you sell and pocket the difference where do you live then? Another mortgage for more money? Another self-cert? More risk? Do you see the problem? It's unsustainable and risky.

Maybe the plan was to put the money pocketed towards a deposit for a repayment mortgage, as others have said for many an interest only mortgage was cheaper than renting.

Of course in a falling market all bets are off.

No this thread is about a different thing altogether …. Interest only with no method of repayment that is quite different ..... if there is a short fall on an endowment it can be bridged with a loan.

Or with sufficient warning of a shortfall endowment payments can be increased to cover it.

Like you say a completely different thing altogether from the OP

Maybe the plan was to put the money pocketed towards a deposit for a repayment mortgage, as others have said for many an interest only mortgage was cheaper than renting.

This defies logic unless the I/O mortgage was for 100% of the value of the property, you were certain house prices would always rise, you were happy to pay the indemnity fees, happy to pay higher interest payments, happy to be tied into the mortgage for years, happy to pay hefty redemption fees when you moved on.

When faced with people willing to take these risks people who want to do it the right way (saving for deposits, not overstretching) are no doubt forced into making similarly crazy financial decisions just to get on the housing ladder.

It never ceases to amaze me how normally rational people completely lose their marbles when it comes to buying houses.

Is paying interest-only on a mortgage simply like renting?

Just wondering. Obviously without figures it can only be a generalisation

It is similar, but there are differences.

You would be liable for repairs etc. rather than the landlord.

There is also the creation of money by the bank in the form of debt to usurp ownership of the property in the first place. Which in turn drives up inflation (the cost of living).

Interest on the debt forms the slavery.

They used to, if you had something like an endowment in place to pay off the capital at term. In fact, in that case why wouldn't it be I/O for the entire term?

They used to do that, I don't think they do it now. I know somebody who had an endowment style mortgage, at the end of the mortgage, the endowment policy left them with a six grand shortfall.

Archived