The Silk Road, Online Marketplace

Has it popped up on your radar yet?

(hit "cc" for english subtitles from 3:05).

It's a certifiable one-stop shop for illegal drugs that represents the most brazen attempt to peddle drugs online that we have ever seen. It's more brazen than anything else by lightyears.

Not just brazen but increasingly popular.

Interesting stuff.

I've done a bit of work for RM before and when sorting packages you blatantly know many contain drugs.

And I have received the odd spliff in the post from friends.

You can of course also send tobacco as a gift, and certain foodstuffs.

Has it popped up on your radar yet?

(hit "cc" for english subtitles from 3:05).

From the same TV show that brought the above video, here's another. Her expression at 3 mins 05 seconds is priceless. :hihi:

There was a show on BBC5 radio about the Silk Road, Bitcoins and Tor which pretty much explains how it all works -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b01bmpl4

It is no more brazen than any other drug dealer frankly. Most people would have no idea how to use an onion link even if they were given it, whereas pretty much everyone knows a dealer or someone who could direct them to a dealer.

But do these dealers have websites?

... most brazen attempt to peddle drugs online

Either way, most people could learn how to use an onion link in about 5 minutes, not knowing how to do something online is only ever a temporary handicap.

I'd say the bitcoin dimension is what represents the biggest barrier to access.

I gather no-one has worked out how to attach baggies to their email yet.

But without Bitcoins it doesn't work since all other financial transactions are highly traceable.

The weak link in the system is delivery by mail to your address.

Definitely.

As the chap in the radio program (or some video) pointed out, you can also go and buy a prepaid mastercard for cash, and that is then charged to a legitimate front company. You do have to register the card, but it's easily faked apparently.

And as for delivery, some Silk Road vendors even use Registered (signed for) delivery for their wares, I hear.

There's a parallel, but much less well defined, economy of trust at work here too - and they have more or less borrowed wholesale from ebay. You now need to pay 100 euros for a vendor account ...

The weak link in the system is delivery by mail to your address.

I've heard of people posting each other drugs, and the easy way around is just to put the wrong name on the envelope. Then the legal defence is that the package was never intended for them, and the police have to do the work of proving that it was.

I've heard of people posting each other drugs, and the easy way around is just to put the wrong name on the envelope. Then the legal defence is that the package was never intended for them, and the police have to do the work of proving that it was.

Anyone could post you drugs, you haven't committed a crime.

If they were intercepted and customs sent you a letter asking if you wished to claim them, then you could get into trouble...

Archived