Do we kiss, hug or shake hands?

I hate to point this out, but if you realised some of them clearly did not want you to do it and you did it anyway, you have actually assaulted those women. You are lucky you didn't have a particularly litigious person in the group.

Ha come on really?! I think even the most letigious woman in the group would struggle to identify this as assault. Creepy, weird and innaprorpiate maybe, assault - surely not!

You think you're struggling with personal contact- try being someone who CAN'T shake right hands with people and with the right hand being the one that is always offered. The only choice I have is either saying 'sorry, I can't shake hands' or offering the left hand, which makes for a very awkward handshake indeed.

I'm sorry to hear that. Does indeed sound awkward. Do you find yourself overkissing too then?

I'm sorry to hear that. Does indeed sound awkward. Do you find yourself overkissing too then?

Oh she's always overkissing.

You've no idea :P:hihi:

As for me. I always hand out awards naked. I feel it really cuts to the issue at heart and crushes any tension!

The other day I had a cringe making experience that still makes me wince to think about it.

I had to deliver a one day training course at work to 20 random people. The day went well and everyone seemed to find it interesting and inforrmative etc etc However we ended the day with the presentation of certificates to every delegate for having complete the course. I should point out at this stage that all the delegates were women, as was my co trainer and I was the only bloke in the room.

So, the presentation was pretty straight foreward, I would call out the delegates name one by one, everyone would clap and I would hand over the certificate. Pretty simple right?

I read out the first name, and the woman walked up to the front looking a bit nervous. Without thinking about it I handed over the certificate and gave her a peck on the cheek. She looked frankly startled and incredibly uncomfortable!

So I now had a horrible dilemma, do i continue with the kissing or resort to the more conservatibe handshake for the remaining 19 delegates. But if i switched to a handshake, it might look weird that i had randomly kissed this first woman?

I ploughed on and kissed 19 further embarrassed and and frankly hostile women! Some of them pointedly strteched out a hand as soon as their name was read out but I panicked and just pulled them in towards me.:loopy:

It was a weird and awkward end to the day and left me wondering when did this simple social greeting become so blooming complicated? A female friend of mine told me that she saw her postman out in a bar the other day (bear in mind this is a man she has spoken to about twice in her life for approx 10 seconds) and he came over and gave her a kiss on the cheek!

Is it really a mindfield or am I worrying about nothing?:help:

Haha!

What course did you deliver? Feminism in the modern work place.

On reflection I definitely should have made a joke of it but next time it will be a firm handshake with possibly a little pat on the shoulder but only a very light pat mind :)

I'd avoid the pat on the shoulder. Maybe one on the bottom as they turn away, just to be friendly like.

:hihi:

Most people aren't tall enough to kiss me without my cooperation, so no, overkissing is not something that I have an issue with :)

Generally I just clasp over the top of their right hand with my left and apologise for not being able to offer my right at the same time. Thankfully I no longer have to shake hands with anybody 50 times a day at work, like I used to.

Archived