Bus lane cameras

meer-kat

11 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

reading signs is an integral part of safe driving, I am quite capable of reading these signs AND keeping a good, safe lookout for other road users and any hazards (potential or actual) at the same time. TBH if you have difficulties with this I have concerns about your ability as a driver, OR you need to slow down.

It's not so bad in a city you are familiar with. 

When I have driven in London, it's a different matter. So many signs, so many things going on, so many restrictions.

Are you as comfortable driving in somewhere else, like London, in comparison to say driving in Sheffield?

Guest busdriver1
3 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

It's not so bad in a city you are familiar with. 

When I have driven in London, it's a different matter. So many signs, so many things going on, so many restrictions.

Are you as comfortable driving in somewhere else, like London, in comparison to say driving in Sheffield?

I drove in London for many years when I lived there. No problem.

• 8 months later...

Hello 

This morning I was driving down abbeydale road and turning left up Springfield road. There is a bus lane that ends quite close to the left turn at the traffic lights. 

I made the mistake of getting into the left lane too early. And got snapped by what I think is a new camera. 

Behind me - at least two other cars did the same - please learn from our mistakes and don’t get in the left lane too early. 

will post if I get a ticket.

1 hour ago, srtaylo0 said:

Hello 

This morning I was driving down abbeydale road and turning left up Springfield road. There is a bus lane that ends quite close to the left turn at the traffic lights. 

I made the mistake of getting into the left lane too early. And got snapped by what I think is a new camera. 

Behind me - at least two other cars did the same - please learn from our mistakes and don’t get in the left lane too early. 

The only camera I am aware of down there is a traffic light one.  Haven't been down there in 3 weeks though. 

Pretty sure outside of London all bus lane infringements have to be monitored by a human. @Planner1 will know for sure. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

The only camera I am aware of down there is a traffic light one.  Haven't been down there in 3 weeks though. 

Pretty sure outside of London all bus lane infringements have to be monitored by a human. @Planner1 will know for sure. 

The cameras are automatic.

They record a video clip when a vehicle enters their detection zone.  The clip is automatically uploaded to the back office system.

The video clip has to be reviewed by a person to confirm that a contravention has occurred. Only then can a penalty be issued.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The cameras are automatic.

They record a video clip when a vehicle enters their detection zone.  The clip is automatically uploaded to the back office system.

The video clip has to be reviewed by a person to confirm that a contravention has occurred. Only then can a penalty be issued.

Fair enough. I doubt it's a bus lane camera down there though. Would be an odd place to put it.  Also a "flash" would suggest a picture was taken rather than a video clip. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Fair enough. I doubt it's a bus lane camera down there though. Would be an odd place to put it.  Also a "flash" would suggest a picture was taken rather than a video clip. 

It was a very sunny day today. Maybe it was a random reflection of sunlight or something? 

3 hours ago, srtaylo0 said:

Hello 

What makes you think you were “snapped”?

Bus lane cameras record  video, they don’t flash.

Where was the “camera” located? If it’s the device on top of the traffic signal pole, that is a video detector for the operation of the signals. It isn’t a camera.

I noticed the camera pointing at me as I drove through. No flash. I don’t know if it snapped me 😀

also noted this morning they are also positioned further down abbeydale road near tescos. Again pointing at bus lane. They look to be mobile ones that are bolted to existing street furniture. The one I first noticed was bolted to the ‘end of bus lane sign’

they are defo not the detectors you mention. 

Edited by srtaylo0