Rights to stay in house with children when relationship ends

I have been with my partner for 10 years and we have two children.

we have a joint house and both put capital in.

The relationship has ended. I want to stay in the house with the children. I don't want to uproot them.

My partner said he wants me and kids to move out. He said about selling house (at a loss).

With working tax credit I could afford to pay the mortgage.

Someone mentioned that despite not being married I may have rights to stay in house until youngest child is 16.

Does anyone have any experience in this or knows someone who has? can't really afford to get legal advice.

Thank you.

Neither of you has an automatic right to stay in the house. Since there are children involved, it is likely that whoever ends up with custody of the children would be allowed to stay in the house until they turn 18 - but it is not certain.

It is more accurate to say that you can't afford not to take legal advice. You must see a solicitor.

He cant make you move out......the kids have a right to live in the family home.

A court MAY make you move out if there is at least 100k equity in the house which would give you both enough to start again....though VERY unlikely.

Go see Micheala at Taylor Emmet behind TJ hughes in town...free half hour.

She is very good.

Thanks everyone.

He cant get you out but you will have to pay half the mortgage if you are not married He will have to pay maintenance for kids if they are his. When kids leave home age 18 or there abouts maintenance will stop House will then be sold and proceds spllt in two. Dont let him him bully you :love:

He cant get you out but you will have to pay half the mortgage if you are not married He will have to pay maintenance for kids if they are his. When kids leave home age 18 or there abouts maintenance will stop House will then be sold and proceds spllt in two. Dont let him him bully you :love:

Why will he have to pay maintenance? It could be her that needs to pay maintenance, you don't know. It hasn't gone through court.

He just needs a good shake. If he loves the kids he will see sense.

It could be worse, I have just come off a topic where Halibut is asking that we treat Abu Qatada's wife and kids with respect and keep the hubby here, even though he would have everyone else killed in the name off bla bla bla.

They say that WE should respect him, his wife and his kids to a family life here even though he does not wish anyone else to.

Now that's a dilemma for you :D

Archived