Would you risk your life for your dog?

I've never met a pet dog that gave much to society.

http://www.petsastherapy.org/

http://www.nsarda.org.uk/need-to-know/training/

These contribute one heck of a lot more than the majority of people do these days

My beagle is a pet dog - he has helped me retrain unruly rescue dogs and other people's pets too, giving a small group of people a well behaved pet that they have since derived one heck of a lot of pleasure from

If Brude had been stupid enough to have fallen into that river, the first thing I'd have done is walked along the river encouraging him through the non-icy stream to a point (in the foreground) where he'd be closer to shore, and I'd have looked for a life ring to skate out on the ice in, firstly because it'd distribute my weight better, and secondly as it should be helpful if the ice does give way

I'm surprised that guy's knees didn't stick to the ice!

http://www.petsastherapy.org/

http://www.nsarda.org.uk/need-to-know/training/

These contribute one heck of a lot more than the majority of people do these days

Well you're comparing dogs that are trained to help people with all people -that's not a fair comparison. You should compare dogs whose job is to help with people whose jjob it is to help - nurses, perhaps?

I also think it's utterly incorrect to use the word 'majority' when you mean 'some' as well :)

Well you're comparing dogs that are trained to help people with all people -that's not a fair comparison. You should compare dogs whose job is to help with people whose jjob it is to help - nurses, perhaps?

I also think it's utterly incorrect to use the word 'majority' when you mean 'some' as well :)

I was replying to this:

I've never met a pet dog that gave much to society.
My answer proves that either you don't get out much, or if you do, you don't interact with the same environment that I do

I can compare ANY two groups I choose

What 'contribution' do you yourself make to 'society'?

I don't care mate really, you either would but you're reluctant to admit it 'cos that would make you guilty of being slow witted and of idiocy(your statement) or your a coward and wouldn't help anybody in distress.

That's pretty outrageous coming from a moderator who is meant to set the tone in here.

I was replying to this:

My answer proves that either you don't get out much, or if you do, you don't interact with the same environment that I do

I can compare ANY two groups I choose

What 'contribution' do you yourself make to 'society'?

You can of course compare any two things you like, but you cannot compare any two things and expect the conclusions to necessarily be illuminating.

In your example you were comparing 'animals that are trained to assist people' with 'all of humanity' and finding that the animals were more likely to assist people.Given that if the dogs wouldn't be assistance dogs if they didn't assist people, I was simply pointing out that no valid conclusions about the moral standing of dogs or people could be drawn from it.

If you want me to answer the other question you'll have to define 'contribution' and society' for me, and ideally tell me what point you are trying to make in this particular hole you are digging :)

Yes, I've had a pet.

But to compare the life of the pet and the life of a child as equal is bizarre.

I believe no one has a right to tell another that their priorities are wrong. If someone places the life of a pet over a child, then that's entirely fair and reasonable to them.

Just because a person feels differently does not give them a right to judge others for not feeling the same way.

I believe no one has a right to tell another that their priorities are wrong. If someone places the life of a pet over a child, then that's entirely fair and reasonable to them.

Just because a person feels differently does not give them a right to judge others for not feeling the same way.

Have you actually thought this through?

What if I was your neighbour, and decided that my priority was having loads of room, so I knocked through in to your lounge?

What if I was the evil leader of Germany and decided that blonde haired blue eyed 'Germans' had priority over Jews?

Would that be entirely fair and reasonable?

What if I believed that everyone one was made of ice cream and went around your local pub trying to lick people? Would you consider me to be reasonable? Would you not judge me at all? Not even a tiny bit of you would think 'that bloke is a bit odd'?

Have you actually thought this through?

What if I was your neighbour, and decided that my priority was having loads of room, so I knocked through in to your lounge?

What if I was the evil leader of Germany and decided that blonde haired blue eyed 'Germans' had priority over Jews?

Would that be entirely fair and reasonable?

What if I believed that everyone one was made of ice cream and went around your local pub trying to lick people? Would you consider me to be reasonable? Would you not judge me at all? Not even a tiny bit of you would think 'that bloke is a bit odd'?

ooookkkkkkkaaaayyyy - you've just earned a place on my 'ignore list'

ooookkkkkkkaaaayyyy - you've just earned a place on my 'ignore list'

For making a valid point in an unconventional style? You have no idea how devastated I am - please will you reconsider? I don't know how I shall cope without reading responses from you which essentially boil down to 'I have a dog and I like my dog' on these threads.

Archived