Would you risk your life for your dog?

Have you actually thought this through?

What if I was your neighbour, and decided that my priority was having loads of room, so I knocked through in to your lounge?

What if I was the evil leader of Germany and decided that blonde haired blue eyed 'Germans' had priority over Jews?

Would that be entirely fair and reasonable?

What if I believed that everyone one was made of ice cream and went around your local pub trying to lick people? Would you consider me to be reasonable? Would you not judge me at all? Not even a tiny bit of you would think 'that bloke is a bit odd'?

Again, everyone is entitled to their views. And, as this is the Internet, someone always takes it too far (as we see here).

But yes, everyone's entitled to their views.

I believe no one has a right to tell another that their priorities are wrong. If someone places the life of a pet over a child, then that's entirely fair and reasonable to them.

Just because a person feels differently does not give them a right to judge others for not feeling the same way.

Have you actually thought this through?

What if I was your neighbour, and decided that my priority was having loads of room, so I knocked through in to your lounge?

What if I was the evil leader of Germany and decided that blonde haired blue eyed 'Germans' had priority over Jews?

Would that be entirely fair and reasonable?

What if I believed that everyone one was made of ice cream and went around your local pub trying to lick people? Would you consider me to be reasonable? Would you not judge me at all? Not even a tiny bit of you would think 'that bloke is a bit odd'?

Again, everyone is entitled to their views. And, as this is the Internet, someone always takes it too far (as we see here).

But yes, everyone's entitled to their views.

You can't take it further than an absolute, which is where you started - you said:

"no one has a right to tell another that their priorities are wrong"

Which is a fairly definitive stance to take. I was simply pointing out, with examples nothing to do with dogs - that people are always telling other people that their priorities are wrong, and often they are perfectly correct to do so - indeed sometimes it is their moral imperative to do so.

You made a statement that is either almost unique, and very remarkable or simply not true. I was just highlighting this.

Of course you can ignore that and just imply that because I chose to express it in a manner that was supposed to be mildly amusing and attention grabbing the point must be invalid. You have got green letters under your name after all, and as willman has shown, that means that normal forum etiquette doesn't apply.

I believe no one has a right to tell another that their priorities are wrong. If someone places the life of a pet over a child, then that's entirely fair and reasonable to them.

Just because a person feels differently does not give them a right to judge others for not feeling the same way.

As you said, I'm entitled to my opinion.

Choosing a pet over a child is bizarre.

i have in a way when i was in a flat fire i refused to leave without the dogs, even now i have got kids i would still make sure the dogs got out.

if they fell in a river i would have to leave them mainly because i am not a strong swimmer, but i know without a doubt they would get out without my help i would be the one needing rescuing

If it was me choosing between a dog or my kid, the kid would come first every time, dogs are replaceable, albeit expensively even though Dad knows people in the "trade". but human life means more to me.

I very nearly drowned in 2004 after my daughters dog got into difficulties in the top dam on the wharncliffe crags, i got my leg caught on something but managed to free myself after a struggle, needless to say the dog swam free.

Can I please remind people that, although moderators, we are also human beings with opinions and as such are just as entitled to them as any other member.

Any opinions expressed on the forum are expressed by the person, not the green title. Threads are also not moderated by any mod who chooses to post as a member on that thread.

Remember to attack the post, not the poster.

Thank you

The funny thing is, nobody has ever claimed that a dog was more important than a child.

The thing about the child came about because someone claimed you're stupid if you ignore the fire brigade and go out on ice to rescue something. Someone asked what if something was a child, are you still being stupid?

Archived