Would you risk your life for your dog?

An Essex Fire Service spokesman said: "This was extremely dangerous."

It was extremely dangerous. The question is bigger though - is it possible to sit and watch a loved pet drown? I couldn't do it. It is dangerous, but I think the man did something that most people can relate to on some level. He loved his pet enough to take that risk.

The Fire Service aren't qualified or entrusted with safety regarding water or ice - they're FIREmen. According to the HMRC their role is FIRE safety.

Who would you think is qualified to perform a rescue, a man in his pants or the FIRE service?

We don't live in a country of Thunderbirds and International Rescue.

I would not save a dog in the water unless i knew the river well.

To a point I would agree. Most wouldn't if they stopped and thought. People tend not to think though..it's usually a split second decision driven by emotion. I'm probably at an age where my body couldn't take very low water temperatures unlike when I was 21 maybe. Yes I would risk my life but I would put as much effort into the dangers and consequences before making the leap.

Who would you think is qualified to perform a rescue, a man in his pants or the FIRE service?

We don't live in a country of Thunderbirds and International Rescue.

What would the appropriate action have been , had it been child. Stand and watch following protocol to be ridiculed (like the policemen were in 2010) or get to it?

I know which guy i'd rather see out walking. We may be slow witted but we aren't cowards.

The Fire Service aren't qualified or entrusted with safety regarding water or ice - they're FIREmen. According to the HMRC their role is FIRE safety.

Just a little something from the DirectGov site. Doesn't specically mention frozen lakes, but you get the picture.

The role of the services

Fighting fires can be just a small part of a firefighter's everyday work. Only one in three calls to the fire and rescue service is about a fire, and the services deal with many kinds of emergency and non-emergency situations. Their work includes pumping out floodwater, attending chemical spills and helping at road, rail and air crashes - including emergency casualty care. Fire and rescue services also rescue people who are trapped in buildings and lifts.

What would the appropriate action have been , had it been child. Stand and watch following protocol to be ridiculed (like the policemen were in 2010) or get to it?

I know which guy i'd rather see out walking. We may be slow witted but we aren't cowards.

It wasn't a child, it was a dog.

Archived