Would you risk your life for your dog?

So apart from trolling and being rude you have nothing productive to offer on the thread i guess.

If you think someone is trolling or off-topic, why not delete their posts?

I personally would not risk my life for an animal, it's irrational to do so. Animals generally look after themselves quite well - there are many stories of people jumping in the water to save dogs only for the person to die and the dog to turn up perfectly well a few hours later.

I'm not sure how qualifications relate to the matter really. Is there a qualification for 'rescuing a pet that has fallen through ice'? Does it matter? I don't have a qualification to do lots of things, doesn't stop me doing them, and whilst rationally, risking your life for a pet might seem stupid, not risking it probably wouldn't seem like an option at the time.

I ran into to the road to stop traffic from running over someone elses dog, it was the right thing to do even though there was some risk involved in it, I couldn't just stand by and watch the dog be run over.

to compare the life of the pet and the life of a child as equal is bizarre.

It's irrational, but it is not bizarre. It is built into the mind when we 'love' our pets.

A similiar experiment, to ponder over. A widowed man is going onto ice to save one of his triplets. His wife had three sons and died later, and now one of them is in the water. Is it bizarre to compare the life of one child with the other two who aren't in danger?

---------

As a side topic, spending money on veterinary care is irrational when you can go and get a new dog for cheaper than the price of an operation. If we were purely rational then the world would be a very different place.

Yes, I've had a pet.

But to compare the life of the pet and the life of a child as equal is bizarre.

No it's not.

To compare them is reasonable, to claim that they're equally important is IMO wrong, but there's nothing bizarre about the comparison.

Then you need to get some help....

IMHO of course

That's a little harsh. There are plenty of people who become deeply fond of their pets, and have a similar emotional tie to them that others have for their children. They may become more attached to their pets than you would, but that doesn't mean they need help.

My personal viw is that there are far too many human beings on the planet anyway and we place a ridiculously high value on human life - much of which is pretty worthless is you think about it logically.

Archived