What happened to the rag and bone men?

pigeon

Who's Troggy?

Troggy is a manor lad who used to push a builders barra allover the manor area in sheffield and he could get more on that barra than a transit pickup.

he featured in the documentary that was made about the manor in the eightys and was and still is loveingly remembered,he had plenty of run ins with the local police for scavenging on demolition sites etc but he was a loveable rogue and harmless and i think the police had a soft spot for him and just kept him in check [as much as they could do]but he was allways one step ahead LOL , He was one horse power with that barra [AND DIDN'T EVEN WEAR A NOSE BAG] :hihi:

There's Troggy on the Manor:D

You can still see him walking past toppolis pizza on a Friday Saturday night 3 sheets to the wind

---------

Hi pigeon, the very last i saw of an horse and cart was late 60s plodding

down cobble st in cyclops st.

Do still miss those coloured chalks and them crayon sticks. :hihi::hihi:

I remember seeing rag and bone man when I was a kid around woodthorpe that would have been late 80s

You can ;)

I believe he currently drinks in the punchbowl after his plaque in the ball was taken down.

Cracking footage that is ! never lived on Manor had odd night there in 80s another community destroyed....

During the war when clothes were on rations my mum said she was sick of wearing her old rags so when the rag and bone man came round I went into her wardrobe and grabbed an armful and took it down to him and got two chicks. When she came home from work and asked where I got the chicks from and I told her I got her clothes out of the wardrobe the air turned blue and I had to go down all the streets in Tinsley to find him and get her clothes back.

Chen1st, That is amazing thanks for that, that is the old Sheffield I knew & loved. What I liked about it is they had real people in it. Kids of t'day now now't. :hihi::hihi: In todays society people are stripped of there identity, they have to conform, be normalised something I have never been. I see so many young people they act & dress as if they have been programed to be that way. Almost as if we are faced with a 'Living Dead Society' if you see what I mean.

I am gonna download that, it really is so good. :clap: :clap:

Chen1st, That is amazing thanks for that, that is the old Sheffield I knew & loved. What I liked about it is they had real people in it. Kids of t'day now now't. :hihi::hihi: In todays society people are stripped of there identity, they have to conform, be normalised something I have never been. I see so many young people they act & dress as if they have been programed to be that way. Almost as if we are faced with a 'Living Dead Society' if you see what I mean.

I am gonna download that, it really is so good. :clap: :clap:

well try this go on you tube type Sheffield then and now its great:

Archived