Westfield Academy pupils @ Asda Handsworth

I went shopping at Handsworth Asda last week and was shocked to see a load of kids from Westfield academy at the checkouts asking people if they needed their shopping bagged for them whilst rattling charity buckets in aid of their own school ! I didn't think much of it at the time, other than why the kids were missing lessons, until I spoke to my next door neighbour who has two kid's that both go to Westfield Academy. She told me that her daughter had come home complaining that she had been told by her art teacher that the school could not afford pencils for them and they should bring their own ??

Just what sort of a state is this school in if they have to go begging for charity at Asda ? Has anyone else got kid's that attend Westfield and have witnessed anything similar to what my neighbours kid's have been told ?

I don't like the idea of kids collecting money for the school as that could put temptation in their path because not all kids are little angels. When I was at school we all had pencil cases with our own pens, pencils, felt tips and even a ruler, pertractor and a lethal compass so the school didn't supply us with such things.

I remember at my junior school we would all bring in all our old newspapers and the like which the school then sold in order to raise funds for our own swimming pool to be built though.

Archived