Are animals self-aware and are we animals?

Something that has cropped up briefly in threads before but not really discussed-

I know that some people on here believe that animals are not self-aware, these same people have said that we are not animals.

Most evidence suggests (in my opinion) that many animals ARE self aware and that we ARE animals. There's also plenty of evidence to suggest that some animals can share some of our cognitive skills.

I asked one person what he thought the difference between us and animals is, to which he gave an answer that proved false. I'm interested to hear what others think :bigsmile:

There are things like the mirror test (of which I'm sure you're aware) which can be used to determine self awareness. It has its limitations and there are questions around its validity. For example failing the mirror test cannot be taken as a lack of self awareness.

To answer the OP's questions:

1) Yes, we have evidence that at least some animals are self aware.

2) Of course we are animals.

jb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_cognition

It's a continuum. We are animals, it is likely that we are the most self aware of all animals.

The self-awareness of a sea squirt (we share a common vertebrate ancestor with them) is somewhere down the other end of the scale.

Arguably, not just animals have self awareness but all living organisms.

Did you watch to programme that was on BBC last Monday and Tuesday about clever animals. It was presented by that lovely Irish girl from Bang Goes the Theory?

It was amazing, she showed how crows used "tools" to obtain food in the bottom of a glass of water, and they worked it out quicker than a child of 10 did. It also showed how animals felt and showed grief when one of their number died. How whales communicate to gather fish to eat.

But most amazing is a centre in America for the study of Apes in particular Bonobo's, these can communicate with humans using a complex board of symbols to relay what they want, and who they want to speak to.

It left us speechless, there should be more programmes like that.

There are things like the mirror test (of which I'm sure you're aware) which can be used to determine self awareness. It has its limitations and there are questions around its validity. For example failing the mirror test cannot be taken as a lack of self awareness.

To answer the OP's questions:

1) Yes, we have evidence that at least some animals are self aware.

2) Of course we are animals.

jb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_cognition

+1 for this answer, pretty much covers it.

I don't know why the assumption was ever made that they weren't self aware. The logical assumption would be to assume they are:huh:

This is spectacular

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/16832378

I have seen videos of birds making tools as well.

Well I always thought most animals were self-aware, some opinions to the contradictory on here last year were the first I knew of people thinking otherwise.

These are the people I'd be interested to hear from on the subject most. I suspect it's just an unfounded belief they have that fits in with other beliefs (ie that we are NOT animals)

Its almost certain you aren't going to get a definitive answer.

I agree certain animals are self aware, certain animals can develop to be self aware. But just as many aren't - using the examples people have mentioned.

I also think self awareness brings up more issues - do dogs know they are a dog or do they just think they are "something",similarly many humans have identity issues. Think that makes us all the same.

Archived