Majority of people are on some sort of benefit.

But I haven't got a job, I'm a dirty rotten scrounging pension drawer, I've also got a nice detached house in a decent area paid for, who's arse am I licking my young Leninist friend? :huh:

You haven't got room on your drive for "Occupy Sheffield" have you ? :hihi:

When are the new tax rates coming in that are supposed to make up for Gordon Brown's abolition of the 10p tax band?

There are many people who don't claim the benefits they are entitled to because they are not told about them. I forget the actual figure but think it was getting on for a £billion in unclaimed benefits and allowances.

I'll see if I can find the figure.

A: I've no idea if your figures are correct, but I've been making the point for ages that governments manipulate statistics to create whatever impression they want, and with the collusion of the media, stir up hate campaigns against vulnerable sections of society.

B: At the moment they want people to think that a)benefits are too generous (they're not) and b)claiments are all a bunch of lazy scrounging layabouts that are draining the economy dry (they're not.)

If the bold A is your stance, then how can you claim (no pun) that B is correct?

Ho Hum, another week, another thread bitching about benefit claimants! :rant::loopy:

People will ALWAYS claim what they are entitled to, and if the Daily Fail don't like it they can lump it! :D

When you pay between 30-40% of your income out without any choice, then I think you have a right to form opinions to how it is spent. Perhaps one day tax-payers will find a way of not paying anything, then others will have to lump it (and perhaps all of us will have to lump it) :D

If the bold A is your stance, then how can you claim (no pun) that B is correct?

When you pay between 30-40% of your income out without any choice, then I think you have a right to form opinions to how it is spent. Perhaps one day tax-payers will find a way of not paying anything, then others will have to lump it (and perhaps all of us will have to lump it) :D

I was referring to the figures of the OP.

I don't think it matters if the figures are correct, as the government will manipulate them anyway to give the impression they want.

As for point b I refer you to the recent debaccle in which headlines were screaming about benefits being capped at £25K giving the impression that that was the sort of figure claiments received.

Nowhere (that I saw anyway) was there a figure which showed what percentage of claimants actually received that amount, or what the average claim was.

I personally think I agree with a cap at 25K, though I would be much happier with a cap on rents, which as I understand it, is the main reason for benefits exceeding the 25K in the first place.

And welfare payments aren't it's sole liability! Income tax receipts should be one of the governments main sources of income.

Not that I've ever added up but it's quite hard to pay more VAT than income tax. As a quick illustration, I worked out that for someone on the limit of the upper threshold of basic rate (35000) minus the personal allowance of 7475=27525 pays basic rate, 20% at 5505 per anum. If you take into account other deductions including NI (I used another 10% of gross, though it's likely more). This gives you net income of £24500. If you spent it all on VATable goods and services then you could only pay £4900 in VAT.

You just need to earn less. At £10,000pa you'd pay £504 income tax & £332 NI. If you then spent all your net income on 20% VAT goods & services you'd pay £1527.17 in VAT. The tipping point is about £13,000 pa income, assuming you're employed, on PAYE & pay class 1 NI, or over £20,000 if we're just talking about income tax. NI works out a bit less than 10% of gross, it's 12% over an allowance of £102/week.

VAT takes a higher proportion of your income compared to other taxes if you're on a low income.

Archived