Would you risk your child's life by having a dog?

I got that.
Really? Because the analogy still stands, after your lenghty post... The "other drivers" are not "the dog", they are "the other dogs". "your car" is "the dog".

I admit that I couldn't be bothered spending time and money on a biological slipper collector and hoover-wrecker. I have no idea if I could train one or not. As I can't stand the things I expect I'd be quite good at it :)
So why post a thread at all, about the (imagined) life-threatening risk of owning such "biological slipper collectors" and "hoover-wreckers"?

Other than for trolling, I mean?

Seriously, I've not mentioned my ability to train a dog at any point

Oh, but you have. Every time you refer to a dog as being capable of turning wild without warning, you're admitting that you cannot train it to do otherwise.

Many millions of dogs live with families and are utterly harmless, because they have been trained not to attack things.

I'd rather be asking "would you have a child to be killed by your partner".

Statistically more children are killed by a parent, 1 every 10 days, than by a dog.

As a dog owner i would have dogs and children,but i do know some dogs that shouldn't be in a home with children and i know some adults that shouldn't be allowed dogs(or kids tbh)

Statistically more children are killed by a parent, 1 every 10 days, than by a dog.

Doubtless he will respond that there are various things you can do to reduce the risk of your child being killed by your partner, while still continuing to deny completely any possibilty of doing things to reduce the risk posed by a dog.

Man and dog have lived side by side, relatively harmoniously for thousands of years. There are always exceptions to this of course. But the same could be said of humans and humans, this often comes with risk also. With careful management, supervision and training of both dog and child it can be of great advantage to allow children and dogs be be brought up together. Nothing in life comes without risk unfortunately. I was bought up around dogs and so are my children. Some of the greatest education a child can have comes from nature.

Oh, but you have. Every time you refer to a dog as being capable of turning wild without warning, you're admitting that you cannot train it to do otherwise.

Training a dog to do something (or not to something) is not the same as being able to guarantee it will do (or not do it) every time.

Those dog-shows where they do agility tests and things would be a bit dull otherwise.

I've got a dog, I would have him in the house with my kids. Very few dogs relative to the number of families with pets maul family members, just like very few Dads are serial killers relative to the number of dads.

You can always not get one 'just to be safe', but then again you could always stay in the house 24/7 to avoid getting run over, it's not even an issue.

That pretty much sums up my view. The vast majority of dogs don't "go a bit mental if you look at them funny", those that do tend to be trained to do so, or have not been trained appropriately.

It's a risk, sure, but in my experience a very small one. Certainly nothing to worry about anymore than worrying if your vehicles' wheels are going to drop off when you're driving along the road (very unlikely if the vehicle is maintained properly).

As a dog owner i would have dogs and children,but i do know some dogs that shouldn't be in a home with children and i know some adults that shouldn't be allowed dogs(or kids tbh)

We have evolved to have a biological urge to have children though - if we hadn't got that urge as a species, we wouldn't be here.

So although there are risks involved in having a child we do so anyway. Death in childbirth used to be one of the leading causes of death amongst young women.

Personally speaking, without a partner I wouldn't have children at all.

We haven't got a biological urge to keep dogs. They have their uses; I'd totally have a dog if I were a sheep farmer, for example. but clearly they can be a risk - and I would argue that the risk isn't worth taking. If you want a pet, get a rabbit or a cat, You never read about them mauling people. Whereas there were over 3,700 admissions to hospital following dog attacks in children in 2005.

Archived