How many calories do you need to burn

kelibobs

Can you explain something about "fat burning" to me please?

I went on a treadmill at the gym and one of the programmes was for fat burning. I selected that programme and found it was far too easy, much easier than the cardio workout that I'd normally do.

How can a less strenuous exercise be better at burning fat than a more strenuous one?

If you have a high impact class at your gym, you need to attend it.

Circuit is good, or something along those lines.

I went on a treadmill at the gym and one of the programmes was for fat burning. I selected that programme and found it was far too easy, much easier than the cardio workout that I'd normally do.

How can a less strenuous exercise be better at burning fat than a more strenuous one?

The reason it says this is basically because the belief is that when you work out at lower heart rates you burn fat rather than carbs.

However I think its best to work out at what ever feels right for you at the end of the day its a simple equaition with weight loss calories consumed vs calories burnt.

Many people think they can just go to the gym and eat what they want and the weight will just drop off, wrong in half an hour on the excercise bike you may burn about 350 calories well thats about 2 pints of beer and only just over 1 mars bar.

People may think they have lost a lot of weight quickly I always laugh when people say they have lost 5 pounds or so in the first week well that would mean they would have had to burn about 17500 extra calories thats equivelent to about 25 hours on the excercise bike!

Thats the bad news the good news is having a good diet and incorporating regular excercise is a great way to lose weight for several reasons firstly you build muscle and muscle burns calories so the more you have the more calories you will burn even when not working out.

Secondly because you start to feel better it actualy motivates you to carry on and I find you actually get a lot less cravings for fatty foods.

There are many other well known benefits of having regular excercise but the bottom line is I think ,most agree that it makes losing weight easier.

If you are not into gyms then walking is a great way to lose weight just build your distance slowly.

Why is there so much confusion about it. If you consume fewer calories than your body uses in a day, you will lose weight.

Why not just eat less food?

Well you will need to eat less food, but as someone said earlier on, exercise increases your metabolic rate (the amount of calories your body uses when you're doing nothing), therefor as well as the calories you lose whilst doing the exercise, you'll also burn more when you're sat down watching tv.

The reason many people fail is because they cut too drastically, they will go on fad diets and eat a slice of pineapple and 6 kidney beans for the whole day.

Firstly, if you cut your food drastically, your metabolism will slow, and your body will use fewer calories at rest, so it will take you longer to lose fat than if you had eaten more. (Every cloud..)

No need to starve yourself, just don't do stupid things like drinking sugary drinks (inc pure orange juice, more sugar in a pure orange juice than a can of Red Bull), putting sugar in your tea, drinking milk with fat in it, eating big portions.

Here is a really good tool which will calculate how many calories you need to be in deficit, and how long it will take you to lose how much weight, based on your height/weight etc.

And finally the real answer to your question, does it matter what exercise you do. Well, people have suggested walking, and other things like that. Humans burn calories whilst walking, that's a fact. But if you want the 'after burner effect', increasing your metabolism whilst at rest, you need to do exercise which is going to raise your heart rate higher than something that doesn't take much effort.

is a video explaining the 'after burner' effect by a really great guy who makes videos on fat loss but doesn't sell anything or do it for money.

I advise people to watch his fat loss videos, the things he tells you will make you lose weight faster than if you hadn't have watched him.

It's a basic formula: calorie intake - energy expended = net loss/gain in weight.

A good idea is to make better choices at the supermarket. If you buy soup every week, don't cut out eating soup - just choose one with lower calories in it. Ignore all of the "50% less fat" rubbish, just focus on how many calories are in it.

If you do that with all of the foods you buy you'll probably cut out 500 calories per day without feeling any hungrier etc. That's 3500 calories per week!

If you then decide to do some exercise it's an added bonus.

Adding exercise to a busy lifestyle is hard, and most don't understand that if you are going to do it you need to cut other things out of your life e.g. watching Eastenders, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, because you are sat at home doing nothing (in terms of expending energy).

If you want to lose weight I think it takes 3 simple steps:

1. Make better choices when buying food (e.g. lower calorie option)

2. Don't reward yourself with food/drink (e.g. I've done well so I'll eat a massive cake)

3. Don't punish yourself by eliminating your favourite foods (it's no sustainable and leads to temptation)

The excercise routine cannot dominate your life, otherwise it is doomed to fail.

Many people simply cannot devote more than one hour per week and that maybe because of family, work or other commitments they have in life.

If you do the one hour, then that should more than offset the food intake. As long as you eat in a healthy and balanced way then you should be fine.

What is healthy and balanced (with treats)? if you have a good sunday lunch and then have a nice big slice of chocolate cake, no problems, two slices again not a problem - provided you do the training. Even if you have a daily latte and a good meal that should not cause a problem, provided the training that you do is effective.

One hour a week for many people is realistically a maximum, two hours tops.

Fitness training is second to none. If you are wanting that extra help that gives you visible instant results, you may want to consider laser lipo. We are offering free trials this weekend at our clinic at Handsworth. You will need a healthy diet and regular exercise to keep the fat off! PM me if you want to book the trial on the 4th March.

It's about where the energy reserves are coming from. High-intensity exercise burns the glycogen within the muscles because there simply isn't time to transport fat reserves there to supply the energy. The body then replaces the glycogen from the resources in the blood supply.

At lower energy demand rates, the body keeps the glycogen in the muscles as an emergency reserve (a caveman trotting gently after antelope never knows when he might have to outrun a sabre-tooth), so it dissolves the fat and transports that to the muscles.

This week's Horizon (you can still watch it on the BBC website) was very interesting. It looked at the new high-intensity training method that requires just one minute (in three 20-second bursts) of exercise a day, three days a week. But it is very high-intensity! Combine that with the recommendation to move regularly - if you sit in front of the computer or TV for an hour the body will have shut down many functions and be using much less energy - for a combination of exercise levels.

But the main thing to remember is this: CHOOSE AN EXERCISE YOU ENJOY. I suspect this is the reason behind kelibobs' question: he or she wants to lose weight with minimum effort.

Truth is, few people have the motivation to keep doing exercise for its own sake. If you don't actually enjoy going to the gym, you won't keep it up. If you find something you enjoy that also gets you out of breath, that's the best form of exercise in the world. Because you'll do it because it's fun, not because you need to for some other reason.

My personal choices: re-enactment fighting and modern jive dancing (hence the user-name). Both are huge fun in their own right, and that's why I do them. The dancing is an excellent low-intensity cardio workout - be honest, how many people do you know who go to the gym and exercise for three hours at a time, once or twice a week? And yet I'll be dancing for three hours tonight and tomorrow, and loving every minute of it.

And last night was the first time I wore my chainmail during practice this year. Normally we just practice in jeans & T-shirts, but the battle re-enactment season is just weeks away and it's time to get used to the extra weight again. Adding about 40lb to my personal body load and then fighting with broadswords really gets the adrenaline flowing.

So there you are, kelibob. The answer to your question is: "However much you burn incidentally when you're having fun!"

Archived