Are you at risk of being an idiot because of your opinion ?

Just as much at risk as anyone else, especially when posting in haste.

Isn't it kind of the point of the forum to engage people in debate though? I like to think I form my opinions on the basis of sound intellectual ability and interpretation of facts, though I'm probably just an idiot, otherwise I'd be getting paid for my opinion as an expert.

So at risk of proving myself an idiot, I think the key is to try not to get too upset about it and admit when you've been found wanting. Try not to carry over arguements to different threads or take it all too seriously, kind of like a discussion with mates in the pub.

Just as much at risk as anyone else, especially when posting in haste.

Isn't it kind of the point of the forum to engage people in debate though? I like to think I form my opinions on the basis of sound intellectual ability and interpretation of facts, though I'm probably just an idiot, otherwise I'd be getting paid for my opinion as an expert.

So at risk of proving myself an idiot, I think the key is to try not to get too upset about it and admit when you've been found wanting. Try not to carry over arguements to different threads or take it all too seriously, kind of like a discussion with mates in the pub.

Did you just spill my pint ?? :hihi::hihi:

Isn't it kind of the point of the forum to engage people in debate though?

There are varying reasons why people will do that, though. Some are only interesting in "winning the argument" regardless of whether their standpoint is a valid one or not; others set out their argument in the belief that it's a correct one, but will amend their argument if there's enough evidence to convince them that it isn't.

Part of the problem here is what the average person thinks "winning the argument" actually means. You can only "win" a debate if your debate opponent concludes that you were right after all; whereas people claim to have won an argument if their opponent stops arguing, which a lot of the time is because he's concluded that you are so stupid he would be wasting his time to continue. :hihi:

There are varying reasons why people will do that, though. Some are only interesting in "winning the argument" regardless of whether their standpoint is a valid one or not; others set out their argument in the belief that it's a correct one, but will amend their argument if there's enough evidence to convince them that it isn't.

Part of the problem here is what the average person thinks "winning the argument" actually means. You can only "win" a debate if your debate opponent concludes that you were right after all; whereas people claim to have won an argument if their opponent stops arguing, which a lot of the time is because he's concluded that you are so stupid he would be wasting his time to continue. :hihi:

Yeah, I often stop contibuting to threads where people either deliberately or intentionally ignore the salient points of a post or simply regurgitate the same tired old lines. I sometimes just get bored though or have something better to do.

You can never really win an argument on here anyway. Often the thread dies and then a couple of days later a similar argument will be had all over again. When I can be bothered, or when nobody else is making a point I think important, I get involved. Otherwise I just chuckle quietly to myself in the corner (to continue the pub metaphor).

You have to develop an attitude on here, that is don't get upset / uptight about anything.

Just realise that you have a very broad cross section of folks on here and unfortunately there are amongst them what I call Forum Stalkers, that is those waiting to pounce and offer a comment which in most cases is just plain stupid.

I love this forum for the fact that it informs and I must say you do at times come across many folks who are more than helpful.

I am completing a list of Forum Stalkers for my own satisfaction, I guess publication would get me banished !!

Yeah, I often stop contibuting to threads where people either deliberately or intentionally ignore the salient points of a post or simply regurgitate the same tired old lines. I sometimes just get bored though or have something better to do.

You can never really win an argument on here anyway. Often the thread dies and then a couple of days later a similar argument will be had all over again. When I can be bothered, or when nobody else is making a point I think important, I get involved. Otherwise I just chuckle quietly to myself in the corner (to continue the pub metaphor).

A tactic used to get the thread off topic, by people who can’t win (and don't like) the subject being debated. Whataboutism.

Archived