TESCO no good for the single people / small families

Would you like to be able to purchase smaller portions of veg?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to be able to purchase smaller portions of veg?

• Im happy with the veg packs at TESCO etc
    • I'd like to be able to buy smaller packs of pick as much as I like from loose

Tesco have a vegetable stall do they not ? Pick what and how much veg you want ? Why buy pre packs when you can buy what you need ? Im confused :huh:

The only green veg you can buy in whatever quantity you want is broccoli. All others come prepacked in bumper sized packs.

I note the comments on shopping elsewhere and I have thought of that, but Tesco is most convenient. Simples

I sent this comment to TESCO-

Dear Tesco

Please can you advise why your range of loose vegetables is so narrow. As a single person i need to be able to buy one portion of (for example) mange tout or green beans. As things are, I have to buy a family pack, use one portion, and the rest inevitably gets thrown away. Tesco are not encouraging healthy eating by excluding many shoppers from buying many vegetables on the basis people dont want to buy (and pay for) more than they are going to use. Please start selling more loose vegetables by weight so millions of single people and smaller families can enjoy them rather than avoid them. A single portion of green beans shouldn't end up costing me £1.50. Your policy of selling in bulk creates more packaging waste, more food waste (and all associated waste- transportation fuel, growers water in Kenya etc) and is damaging the health of the nation.I look forward to your response.

Thanks

And received this response...

Thank you for your recent email.

I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with the selection of loose fresh vegetables that we stock in our stores. I can understand why you are disappointed.

We try to stock a range of pre-packed and loose vegetables, in line with the demand of our customers. Based on customer feedback, we have established that the majority of our customers prefer their products to be pre-packed, prepared and ready to eat/cook. The packaging process also keeps the products fresher for longer.

In addition to this, we also stock a variety of loose vegetables, such as carrots, broccoli and onions.

Due to the amount of Tesco stores across the country, we have a number of different suppliers that supply our fresh vegetables. There is a huge amount of vegetables processed on daily basis and the process of transporting the produce is a lot more efficient when the product has been pre-packed. This also allows us to deliver targeted amounts of the product to individual stores, in order to minimise wastage. Pre-packed products also allow the stores to conveniently carry out date checking to ensure nothing is on sale passed its use by date.

I appreciate that some of these portions may be too large for an individual person, but it is possible to freeze these products to retain their freshness, which allows them to be cooked at a later date.

I have logged your comments in our customer complaint database so that our buying team are aware. However it is unlikely that our current method of stocking of fresh vegetables is likely to change in the near future.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and provide your thoughts on this matter.

Kind Regards

My comments on their response-

Who ever heard of freezing fresh veg?? They go all mushy :gag:

It seems they want to minimise wastage- by passing the act (and cost) of wastage on to the customer :confused:

My cynical suggestion is that the more they buy, the cheaper it is for them, but they then need to try & sell them so pack up big and tell us its what the customer wants.

Does anybody else want to be able to buy small portions in the supermarkets?

The bit in bold isn't true, the plastic bags seems to make the veg sweat and go bad superfast!

Archived