Free online education via MIT - 6.002x: Circuits and Electronics.

What is 6.002x, and how is it different from the on-campus version of 6.002?

At MIT, each course is assigned a number. All courses in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (EECS) start with the number 6, and 6.002 (also known as Circuits and Electronics) is one of the introductory courses for EECS undergraduates. MITx’s 6.002x is modeled on the on-campus version of 6.002.

The course introduces engineering in the context of the lumped circuit abstraction. Topics covered include: resistive elements and networks; independent and dependent sources; switches and MOS transistors; digital abstraction; amplifiers; energy storage elements; dynamics of first- and second-order networks; design in the time and frequency domains; and analog and digital circuits and applications.

6.002x is built on the content created collaboratively by MIT professors Anant Agarwal and Jeffrey H. Lang for 6.002.

How do I enroll in 6.002x?

To enroll, visit http://mitx.mit.edu and sign up.

http://mitx.mit.edu/6002x-faq.html

You can watch the actual MIT seminars here...

Most of the courses are available on the Youtube MIT channel.

I've watched numerous full modules over the years, so getting a qualification for them does sound interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/user/mit?ob=4#g/p

P.S. A good number of other Uni's do this too, just look for their channel...

Aye, MIT have a lot of good lectures on youtube.

The way forwards seems to be free education, and free information to all humans. However, gaining access to certain information can be a very tricky and very very expensive, currently anyhow.

A degree isn't really that different to a CSCS card, just an expensive piece of paper that allows you entrance to a market.

In an ideal world, free education and free certificates is the way forwards.

In an ideal world, free education and free certificates is the way forwards.

Are you saying that lecturers, examiners and the people who put work in to create these courses should not be paid for their efforts?

If not, then education is not free, it's just a debate about who should pay for it.

Are you saying that lecturers, examiners and the people who put work in to create these courses should not be paid for their efforts?

No, but if one can be educated for free, then that is better.

If not, then education is not free, it's just a debate about who should pay for it.

If I share information on here that some people charge for...

Who pays? Who benefits? Who loses out?

No, but if one can be educated for free, then that is better.

If I share information on here that some people charge for...

Who pays? Who benefits? Who loses out?

But once that system had been in operation for a while, then there'd be no new FREE and quality education coming out.

The people on that course paid for those lectures.

Being a linux user and involved in various opensource projects I see free (free as in free beer) all the time and get / give great support in learning in certain forums.

The way is that we all teach as a community but are being paid to whilst in our own development, and paying through helping others whilst waiting for help to come to us. But, in reality it's not free...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cathedral_and_the_Bazaar

But one can't, unless all those people are not being paid.

I see little difference in a man delivering a lecture in person, or one over youtube.

If anything the youtube one would be preferable as one could pause it to run to the toilet, whack the kettle on or have a cig.

Examination can be (and is now quite often) done by computer.

Course notes can be delivered in person in paper, or by pdf online.

Books can be loaned from a library, purchased from a shop and downloaded for free.

In days gone buy the clever students opted to borrow books from the library, those with money could easily purchase them, now many download them for free and have a newly created copy forever.

Education is becoming ever cheaper, yet it is getting more expensive :suspect:

For many it would make sense to keep themselves and their children at home and educate them with the aid of freely available information over the net.

I see little difference in a man delivering a lecture in person, or one over youtube.

If anything the youtube one would be preferable as one could pause it to run to the toilet, whack the kettle on or have a cig.

Examination can be (and is now quite often) done by computer.

Course notes can be delivered in person in paper, or by pdf online.

Books can be loaned from a library, purchased from a shop and downloaded for free.

In days gone buy the clever students opted to borrow books from the library, those with money could easily purchase them, now many download them for free and have a newly created copy forever.

Education is becoming ever cheaper, yet it is getting more expensive :suspect:

For many it would make sense to keep themselves and their children at home and educate them with the aid of freely available information over the net.

I've got a friend who's doing maths at the moment, I suggested to them to stay for a while after class to discuss the issue they were having, they said, "oh no, out of there as quick as possible".

I suppose you could go into a forum and discuss your issues, but generally that's not a one on one private chat with verbal inferences, with a known expert. Also, many many wouldn't... Also you don't get the lecturer noticing that you're struggling and calls you in for guidance.

Archived