Good live PUB acts and Busker Nights?

glenys

Hi

I am looking for a few places to go and see some reallly good PUB (rather than club) acts. I am a pub act myself and have been working under my own steam for many years. I have a few free weeks to go and see what are the current music fashions and trends on the circuit, before I go and add more to my own repertoir. I want to see good established acts at really nice established venues to get an idea on how to progress and be inspired. I'm not too bothered about large clubs, but don't mind pubs with stages. The way I work involves being able to see the audience, and clubs are too impersonal that way. Because I normally sing on weekends, I have not been able to go and see any of my contemporaries as I used to, so don't know where to start now.

Also does anyone know where the best "Busker Nights" and "Showcases" are?

Thanks

Loads of 'open mike' and 'session' nights in Sheffielld... Cremorne London Rd, Delaney's Cemetery Rd, Fagans Broad Lane, Grapes Trippet Lane, Red House Solly Street, Red Deer and The Bath, both off bottom end of Glossop Rd, just a few. Get hold of Taste and Exposed mags from cafes and bars to find more. Good luck

Hm... trouble with a lot of the open mics suggested is that their bias is towards originals. If I've read the OP right, he's a cover singer looking for a residency of some sort at a pub. Might be wrong, but not sure nights like the Red House or Red Deer are quite what he's after, they're much more geared towards exposure for the songwriter/original act. For 'pub singer' nights Glenys might be better having a scout for those "can you jam" (or similar names) around the forum.

Also, the Grapes isn't doing music any more, is it?

Hi, I go to all the ones I've suggested, and several of them have people doing mostly covers. The Grapes still does music most nights and sat and sun afternoons as well, where one person is paid to run the 'session' [almost always covers], and others just turn up to join in, no stage, just sitting round singing and playing together, lots of people come to just listen too. Same at the Bath pub and Fagan's. But yes, can you jam nights are a good place to look too.

HI SUSIL :-)

You're right, I am a female vocalist and just do pubs and clubs with backing tracks, and can't play an instrument for toffee!!

I'm looking for places where the host brings a CD and MD player for us to play our tracks on.

I am at present beginning a trawl through the phone directory to get places to play in, and will consider both clubs and Pubs, but prefer the latter. What I need at the moment is a pub where I can take my tracks in and sing along with other likeminded folk. I know there is one on Richmond Rd on a tuesday eve somewhere.

HI MAGZ :-) - yes I do covers, but as I do not play an instrument it might be a problem without a place to stick in my media!! I do like folk nights though, like at Fagins, as a night out to unwind. The Grapes sounds like a nice Sunday out...do you know if they do pub grub by any chance on a Sunday??!

:-)

Hi

I am looking for a few places to go and see some reallly good PUB (rather than club) acts. I am a pub act myself and have been working under my own steam for many years. I have a few free weeks to go and see what are the current music fashions and trends on the circuit, before I go and add more to my own repertoir. I want to see good established acts at really nice established venues to get an idea on how to progress and be inspired. I'm not too bothered about large clubs, but don't mind pubs with stages. The way I work involves being able to see the audience, and clubs are too impersonal that way. Because I normally sing on weekends, I have not been able to go and see any of my contemporaries as I used to, so don't know where to start now.

Also does anyone know where the best "Busker Nights" and "Showcases" are?

Thanks

There's a good event TONIGHT, SATURDAY 18 FEB, at the Red House, Solly Street, with bands and other live entertainment.

Archived