Taking off a home radiator?

My advice would be that if you don't already know how to do it, don't even try. The potential downside is enormous!

This advice may be coloured by the fact that I myself don't know how to do it. If it really is a very easy job, those in the know will guide you through it; but even with the guidance of people in the know, I still wouldn't be tackling it myself.

First picis the valve to balance the system.

In the past i've turned both of these all the way down - pic 1 with pliers. Then lifted the radiator off the wall, occasionally i've cracked the big nut to allow the rad to swivel. Occasionally little drips come out,but you only have the water in the rad that can leak out.

Paint quickly, get it back on the wall and tighten the nuts.

(Probably not the professional way but it works)

First picis the valve to balance the system.

In the past i've turned both of these all the way down - pic 1 with pliers. Then lifted the radiator off the wall, occasionally i've cracked the big nut to allow the rad to swivel. Occasionally little drips come out,but you only have the water in the rad that can leak out.

Paint quickly, get it back on the wall and tighten the nuts.

(Probably not the professional way but it works)

turning both dow then will it stop the water coming from the system to feed the radiator? thanks.

My advice would be that if you don't already know how to do it, don't even try. The potential downside is enormous!

This advice may be coloured by the fact that I myself don't know how to do it. If it really is a very easy job, those in the know will guide you through it; but even with the guidance of people in the know, I still wouldn't be tackling it myself.

thanks lol

I see lots of filthy dirty black water.

I'm not a plumber, but have done this job in the past.

What I did was turn the taps off eitherside of the rad.

Crack open the big brass nut on one side and let the rad drain into a bowl or tub. If the tub looks nearly full, tighten the brass nut, empty tub, then repeat till the rad is empty. Then undo both big brass nuts and remove the rad.

This way you don't have to drain the entire system of water.

i was thinking that lol, but cant it be drained from the pipe at bottom of pic 2?
nope - once you've turned both valves off, the water is trapped inside the rad - that exit valve will drain the system down, not the radiator

Archived