Taking off a home radiator?

hi im looking to take off my radiator to decorate, can anyone tell me what the first pic does?

photo.jpg

i know this second pic screws down to turn radiator off, im asuming you have it turned off lol

photo1.jpg

Hi, if you are still looking for advice for this then:

- Using a spanner or water pump pliers turn the valve on the left hand side clockwise as far as it will go to turn the valve off.

- Turn the valve on the right side clockwise as far as it will go to turn the valve off(if it will not turn by hand or seems to be spinning too easily remove the plastic top by taking the screw out and lifting it from the valve, then turn the valve off with a spanner or water pump pliers as you did with the one on the other side)

-undo the nuts on the radiator side of the valves ( push down on left side valve, pull up on right side valve)- be sure to use a second spanner or waterpump pliers to hold the valve square or it will twist away from the pipe and cause the joints to leak.

- If there are two of you doing the job put your thumbs over the open ends of the radiator, turn it upside down and carry it away to pour the water away(put towels under the radiator but if you're quick you'll lose very little water).

If you're on your own open one end first and catch the water in containers until it stops, then open the other end and carry the radiator away.

Hope this helps- if you need any further advice please feel free to call me on 07581193693 or if you're really struggling we've got jobs tomorrow all around Sheffield so we'd be happy to pop in and remove it for you.

Thanks

City Wide Heating Services.

My bedroom rad was rotten, so I swapped it out for shiny new one, very 21st century. I found it easier to just drain the whole house with a pipe through the front door. I was told every now and again you should swap out the water in the system but can't remember what frequency, so I'll do it in another 25 years:|

Paid more for the valves and knobs (for now I'll just call em knobs) than the flippin unit :huh:

Did a cracking job though, to say I had no real idea what the chuff I was doing!

I see lots of filthy dirty black water.

I'm not a plumber, but have done this job in the past.

What I did was turn the taps off eitherside of the rad.

Crack open the big brass nut on one side and let the rad drain into a bowl or tub. If the tub looks nearly full, tighten the brass nut, empty tub, then repeat till the rad is empty. Then undo both big brass nuts and remove the rad.

This way you don't have to drain the entire system of water.

This is exactly as I have done this. It takes a bit of patience but worth it. It is also worth using two sets of grips (one to hold the pipe square) as twisting the pipe could result in a leak. It's a job you should take your time doing if you are not used to it.

This is exactly as I have done this. It takes a bit of patience but worth it. It is also worth using two sets of grips (one to hold the pipe square) as twisting the pipe could result in a leak. It's a job you should take your time doing if you are not used to it.

This is important advice.

Looking at your photo's if you don't grip the pipe to the left of the large nut you will definately twist it and end up with big trouble.

Archived