Eurocamp in france - reviews please

the piggy bank is rather empty so a round the world holiday is on hold at the moment! however, we are thinking of going to eurocamp in brittany / normandy during last week of june 2012 with 3 teenagers. this will be our first time using eurocamp - what were your experiences and what is the best / cheapest way to travel there please. any tips gratefully welcome, thanks

We have been several times to Brittany and Normandy and they are brilliant although we always go in the static caravans belonging to Eurocamp,the sites are good and the beaches are exceptional. We have learned that it is a must to have a car for total freedom.

Try and go by ferry to Caan or Cherbourg for Brittany or Dover for Normandy

The supermarkets are better than ours and offer lots of things to bbq and good offers on drink.

driving around the areas is easy and relaxing.

If its your first time i would recommend a site near the coast (Dol de Bretagne) or

La Roche Bernard)

My daughter and family have been and used already erected tents and say they are excellent. Shower blocks are always spotless. GIVE IT A GO

ps. I don,t work for them I just enthuse a lot cause we love it, beats all the hassle of flying and airports, as you have 3 teens they will love the pools and theres lots to do. If you go by car you only pay for car plus up to 9 so for 5 of you its the best way.

Have you looked into renting a gite in France? Likely to be cheaper than Euro camp.If you want to be on a campsite you are better off renting a caravan or chalet direct from the campsite.These are available on most of the campsites I have stayed on in France.I think a Gite is better,four walls and a proper roof and a proper bathroom!

For Brittany we use St Malo or Roscoff and for Normandy,Caen,Le Havre or Dieppe.These are all much more expensive than Calais but you have to work out how much the extra miles will cost to drive.Both Normandy and Brittany are a long drive from calais.Last year we did Hull to Zebrugge which again is expensive but saves the horrible drive south and Zebrugge is only about 70 miles up the coast from Calais.

the piggy bank is rather empty so a round the world holiday is on hold at the moment! however, we are thinking of going to eurocamp in brittany / normandy during last week of june 2012 with 3 teenagers. this will be our first time using eurocamp - what were your experiences and what is the best / cheapest way to travel there please. any tips gratefully welcome, thanks

You will probably find that you can book a mobile home direct from campsite owners for the same price as you'd pay for a Eurocamp tent - the Eurocamp brochure is though an excellent place to start to look for a quality campsite.

You should be able to get a week in a mobile home for around 400 - 450 euro maximum at the end of June.

We used Eurocamp 2 or 3 times when the kids were small (over 10 years ago now) and found them to be pretty good (until we saw the price we could get a mobile home for) very helpful to have a "courier" if it's your first time in France.

At the end of June I'd be inclined to travel further south than Normandy / Brittany for the weather - down to the Loire at least.

For travelling I always use the tunnel (paid for by Tesco's points). I leave Sheffield just after midnight and get an early morning crossing so I can be on down to the Loire (or similar distance) by early afternoon.

You can find loads of campsite advice on here;

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

Pick your route well - Brittany and Normandy involve long drives. I know to my cost how long a drive it is to Carnac via Calais and I would always recommend the longer ferry crossings that are, necessarily, more expensive.

Avoid travelling over the weekend if you can and don't expect shops to be open for any length of time on Sundays.

Book with Eurocamp, Canvas Holidays, Eurosites or Sandpiper (I haven't done this for some years so I assume they are all trading still) and you have everything sorted for you. Book your ferries independently and a caravan directly with one of the sites in their brochures direct and you could save yourself some money but you have to do it yourself. (When I last looked the French campsite websites were English-friendly so you should not have too much trouble in booking with them.)

The standard of facilities on the sites in their brochures are broadly excellent and we didn't see much of our kids in-between mealtimes once they had settled in with others in the same boat, so fun and relaxing times had by all.

Oh, and slightly off topic but relevant to a driving holiday in France:

Changes to the law in France

Since decree n°2012-3 was introduced on 3 January 2012 it has been illegal to be warned about the position of fixed or mobile speed cameras while you are driving in France. If your TomTom navigation device has the Speed Camera service and you continue to use the service, you risk a fine of up to €1500.

thanks everyone for your advice, especially about the long drives and booking mobile homes direct.. now theres an idea! as previously mentioned, its our first time so wasnt sure what to expect but it does sound good. any other suggestions gratefully welcome - somewhere cheap, warm with activities for us all. happy valentines day!

Archived