Help with fuses please.

My electric blanket stopped working after buying it new two months ago. I thought it might be the fuse as other applicances worked in the socket just fine. So I took the fuse out of the electric blanket plus and it said 3A. I could only find a 5A in another plug I was not using so I put that in (Is that dangerous) and nothing happened. Should something have happened if it was the fuse that had gone or would I need an exact match of what was already in the plug? Thanks for your help.

Has it blown the 5 amp fuse,?put it back in the original plug and see if it works.

If it has blown it it looks like a problem with the blanket - and if it hasn't blown it it still looks like a problem with the blanket,or possibly the socket you are using.

Hmmm.

Putting a 5A fuse in would be perfectly fine as a test to see if the original fuse had gone.

Sadly, since we don't know whether the 5A fuse was ok, the test is inconclusive.

There is no need to go & buy a test meter!

Try this. Take the fuse out of something like a lamp or cd player which you know is working. Ideally you will find a 3A fuse but a 5A will be fine for the test as long as you don't leave it in the blanket plug.

If the blanket works fine with the new fuse, go & buy a pack of 3A fuses and replace one in your blanket (obviously, if the fuse you got from the other appliance was 3A then you can just leave that in the blanket and put the new one in the lamp or whatever).

If it (the blanket) works fine for a bit and then blows again, there is probably something up with the blanket.

If the blanket doesn't work with the new fuse then there is something up with the blanket. Put the test fuse back into the original appliance. If it doesn't work the blanket has blown that fuse too and you'll need to replace it (cheaper than buying a test meter though). If the device does work then it isn't a fuse issue but the blanket is still faulty.

Archived