Homeless in America

47 million Americans now live below the poverty line, and 1.5 million American children are homeless.

55 American cities now have tent cities within their boundaries full of people who have had to resort to living in tents without heating, water or sanitation, because of unemployment or wages so low they cannot afford to rent.

Hundreds of people live in storm drains under the cities.

These are not tramps, down and outs or drug addicts but often people who very recently lived in comfortable middle class homes. Some still have paid jobs.

Particularly harrowing were the vast numbers of poor but often working people, some with life threatening medical illnesses queuing to see free doctors, but in the end being turned away because they didn't have the money for the oporations they needed.

They were featured in a Panorama programme on 13th February, which can be watched on BBC iplayer.

Can I suggest that people watch it.

It's an eye opener. Particularly the views of the politicians who are interviewed and deny the evidence of their own eyes.

This is in the richest country on the planet, but shows what can happen without an adequate welfare system in place.

Could it happen here?

As benefits decrease is it slowly happening...?

47 million Americans now live below the poverty line, and 1.5 million American children are homeless.

55 American cities now have tent cities within their boundaries full of people who have had to resort to living in tents without heating, water or sanitation, because of unemployment or wages so low they cannot afford to rent.

These are not tramps, down and outs or drug addicts but often people who very recently lived in comfortable middle class homes. Some still have paid jobs.

Particularly harrowing were the vast numbers of poor but often working people, some with life threatening medical illnesses queuing to see free doctors, but in the end being turned away because they didn't have the money for the oporations they needed.

They were featured in a Panorama programme on 13th February, which can be watched on BBC iplayer.

It's an eye opener. Particularly the views of the politicians who are interviewed and deny the evidence of their own eyes.

This is in the richest country on the planet, but shows what can happen without an adequate welfare system in place.

Could it happen here?

I watched it.

Is there any point in me commenting as you never respond to anything I spend time writing. You're a crap night owl Anna. Int old days night people argued with me :hihi:

I watched it.

Is there any point in me commenting as you never respond to anything I spend time writing. You're a crap night owl Anna. Int old days night people argued with me :hihi:

Insomnia's a bugger isn't it?

Sorry if you feel neglected Ash. Go on then, what did you think of it?

Insomnia's a bugger isn't it?

:(:hihi:

Sorry if you feel neglected Ash.

:)

Go on then, what did you think of it?

What I thought to the programme, and what I think to your post, are two different things.

I thought the programme was quite sad to watch, however...

I think that what I watched was consistent with what I think capitalist western society faces. I think it's obvious, and you don't (I think), based on what you (and many others) post. Quite frankly I'm amazed that something so obvious can't be so easily understood.

-

Now to your post :)

47 million Americans now live below the poverty line

The poverty line is an almost pointless concept in our western terminology.

... same in any rich country that is being undercut by countries that will work for virtually nothing.

True. And unlike in Britain, they literally have no choice.

See above

This is a thread on its own. I couldn't begin to address the complications with this issue. If I could I would be the next US prez.

but who in the opposition had any better ideas?

There is another thread in here tonight about this in our country. What welfare system is right? It's extremely costly to have a welfare and health system like in the UK. When you have these costs, it affects everything that was addressed in the programme - i.e. work/employment/competing against other countries etc.

Could it happen here?

Could it happen here?

These statistics are probably pretty accurate. While some of these people may have been middle class fallen on hard times most others are battling personal problems, drug and alcohol addiction, mental problems, criminal records which negate chances of obtaining employment, people with no education and illiterate and others residing in the US illegally.

What do you suggest we do? The government isn't in the business of universal rehabilitation. It wouldn't work anyway and the cost would be astronomical even if such a program were to be tried.

If you cant keep the rich and famous off drugs and alcohol ie Whitney Houston, who are able to afford the best and most expensive rehab programs offered what chance would nobody's have ?

We live in a world where a good education and the desire to get a good education has never been more vital than it is now. Young people need to have that drummed into their heads until their ears pop.

The days are gone when a low grade education could still get you a steady decent paying job in a factory

We live in a world where a good education and the desire to get a good education has never been more vital than it is now. Young people need to have that drummed into their heads until their ears pop.

The days are gone when a low grade education could still get you a steady decent paying job in a factory

From age 13 I heard nothing but going to college get an education and get a good job, but its people of my generation who are losing their jobs, drowning in debt from those educations and more.

To get a decent paying job as a customer service rep, most call centres there want you to have a 4 year degree. A degree to answer a phone?!!? Soft skills like that arent taught via a text book or a classroom and thus dont require a degree.

People now are going for their masters, since a bachelors degree is pretty much useless and to get one over on the competition.

We need to encourage people to learn trade skills like being a mechanic, hair dresser, plumber, etc so they can open their own businesses and get things moving. Those skills ARENT encouraged though. Theyre looked down upon as something you do when youre not smart enough to get into college.

I watched this programme and it broke my heart. I know it happens in every country arpound the world but those poor children made my heart bleed. I can't believe that in this day and age, children all over the world are still going hungry.

From age 13 I heard nothing but going to college get an education and get a good job, but its people of my generation who are losing their jobs, drowning in debt from those educations and more.

To get a decent paying job as a customer service rep, most call centres there want you to have a 4 year degree. A degree to answer a phone?!!? Soft skills like that arent taught via a text book or a classroom and thus dont require a degree.

People now are going for their masters, since a bachelors degree is pretty much useless and to get one over on the competition.

We need to encourage people to learn trade skills like being a mechanic, hair dresser, plumber, etc so they can open their own businesses and get things moving. Those skills ARENT encouraged though. Theyre looked down upon as something you do when youre not smart enough to get into college.

Yes but many people who go for their masters or bachelors graduate in the wrong things, useless qualifications such as Socioligy, Political Science and the like. These kind of degrees arent even worth hanging on a bathroom wall.

People need to educate themselves to the degrees and marketable skills that employers are looking for.

My niece was doing three years college in a business course of some sort but was complaining that those she knew who had already graduated with the same degree were finding it hard to even get intio entry level jobs

I gave her some practical advice. Go for the culinary arts ie chef school or the medical profession such as nursing or pharmeceuticals.

She chose nursing and three years later graduated as an RN with a Bachelors degree in nursing. She was called by the US Army shortly afterwards and offered a commission as an officer if she agreed to sign up for a three year engagement.

She did not however choose that direction but very soon got a job as a nurse in a local hospital then later moved to home nursing and after that went back to the same hospital she had worked in before and became a Case Manager which requires a nursing degree.

Ar present she's making over 50 dollars an hour and if she decided to quit could get the same job in any hospital anywhere in the country. Case Managers and RNs are always and always have been in high demand

its people of my generation

So true, those jobs are not looked down on in the US by any means, my plumber owns 3 houses, the electrician on my street turns down jobs every day, both college graduates but took over the family businesses and have no problem putting their kids through college now

I would add nursing to the list also.

Archived