Homeless in America

Yes but many people who go for their masters or bachelors graduate in the wrong things, useless qualifications such as Socioligy, Political Science and the like. These kind of degrees arent even worth hanging on a bathroom wall.

People need to educate themselves to the degrees and marketable skills that employers are looking for.

My niece was doing three years college in a business course of some sort but was complaining that those she knew who had already graduated with the same degree were finding it hard to even get intio entry level jobs

I gave her some practical advice. Go for the culinary arts ie chef school or the medical profession such as nursing or pharmeceuticals.

She chose nursing and three years later graduated as an RN with a Bachelors degree in nursing. She was called by the US Army shortly afterwards and offered a commission as an officer if she agreed to sign up for a three year engagement.

She did not however choose that direction but very soon got a job as a nurse in a local hospital then later moved to home nursing and after that went back to the same hospital she had worked in before and became a Case Manager which requires a nursing degree.

Ar present she's making over 50 dollars an hour and if she decided to quit could get the same job in any hospital anywhere in the country. Case Managers and RNs are always and always have been in high demand

I'm probably not much older than your niece, but when I went school (mid-90s) we were always told as long as we had a degree we would be safe and would be as well off as our baby boomer parents were. Now we're not. We're the ones getting screwed over, as well as generations coming after us.

So true, those jobs are not looked down on in the US by any means, my plumber owns 3 houses, the electrician on my street turns down jobs every day, both college graduates but took over the family businesses and have no problem putting their kids through college now

When I grew up in the US, it wasnt encouraged. Those going to the tech courses during their junior and senior years were looked down upon by others in school. Like they were throwing their lives away. I never did, and admired them for knowing what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives at 14/15 (me, I'm 34 and still not really sure)

If I hadnt moved to the UK I was going to go work with my Dad and for the state of NY. His school district were hiring cleaners for $34K starting (plus free uniforms, shoes, etc) No one wants to be a cleaner though because its looked upon as being scummy.

When I grew up in the US, it wasnt encouraged. Those going to the tech courses during their junior and senior years were looked down upon by others in school. Like they were throwing their lives away. I never did, and admired them for knowing what they wanted to do for the rest of their lives at 14/15 (me, I'm 34 and still not really sure)

If I hadnt moved to the UK I was going to go work with my Dad and for the state of NY. His school district were hiring cleaners for $34K starting (plus free uniforms, shoes, etc) No one wants to be a cleaner though because its looked upon as being scummy.

Theres usually a wating list for school custodian jobs, you have to know someone on the board of education to get your name on the top of the list, they get good pension too.

Theres usually a wating list for school custodian jobs, you have to know someone on the board of education to get your name on the top of the list, they get good pension too.

You missed the part where I said the district my Dad worked in. Hes been there since 1994 and knew the school board (as well as the superintendent and the person in charge of hiring) Even the worst paid districts started at $20K and you could move within the county, not just the district.

Its probably why that county is one of the most expensive to live in the US.. :hihi:

I'm probably not much older than your niece, but when I went school (mid-90s) we were always told as long as we had a degree we would be safe and would be as well off as our baby boomer parents were. Now we're not. We're the ones getting screwed over, as well as generations coming after us.

They should have told you as long as you have a degree in the right subject, the operative word being "right"

Dont downgrade the manual professions such as plumber, mechanic, electirican, carpenter.

I made a nice pile in the construction business during my working days and people still call asking me if I want to do a jiob for them here and there.... which I dont and dont need.

A good reliable auto mechanic is never without a job in this part of the world.

If he doesn't try to screw them by overcharging and doing shddy work his reputation will soon get around and he'll have more work than he can handle.

They should have told you as long as you have a degree in the right subject, the operative word being "right"

Dont downgrade the manual professions such as plumber, mechanic, electirican, carpenter.

I made a nice pile in the construction business during my working days and people still call asking me if I want to do a jiob for them here and there.... which I dont and dont need.

A good reliable auto mechanic is never without a job in this part of the world.

If he doesn't try to screw them by overcharging and doing shddy work his reputation will soon get around and he'll have more work than he can handle.

Oh I agree. If I was to ever have children Id encourage them to take up a trade rather than getting a degree. Most things learned in a trade school can also take you anywhere in the world via a work shortage visa if they ever desired to move further afield.

47 million Americans now live below the poverty line, and 1.5 million American children are homeless.

55 American cities now have tent cities within their boundaries full of people who have had to resort to living in tents without heating, water or sanitation, because of unemployment or wages so low they cannot afford to rent.

Hundreds of people live in storm drains under the cities.

These are not tramps, down and outs or drug addicts but often people who very recently lived in comfortable middle class homes. Some still have paid jobs.

Particularly harrowing were the vast numbers of poor but often working people, some with life threatening medical illnesses queuing to see free doctors, but in the end being turned away because they didn't have the money for the oporations they needed.

They were featured in a Panorama programme on 13th February, which can be watched on BBC iplayer.

Can I suggest that people watch it.

It's an eye opener. Particularly the views of the politicians who are interviewed and deny the evidence of their own eyes.

This is in the richest country on the planet, but shows what can happen without an adequate welfare system in place.

Could it happen here?

As benefits decrease is it slowly happening...?

One of the things which really struck a cord with me was when they were asking the politicians what should they do with someone without health insurance, and the audience members shouted out "let them die", and then no politicians went against that...

There are call centres there that dont req the degree, but they only pay about $17,000 / $10p/h (£11K) before taxes.. While ones that need the degree bring you into the mid $20K mark

Also, a lot of jobs in the states require you to pass a credit check before you can begin work. If youre poor and behind on your bills, you will have poor credit and thus not desirable to be hired.

Credit checks are also performed on things like car insurance and to rent an apartment. Poor credit? Stupid high insurance premiums as well as expensive rent or unable to rent. When you need a car to get to work in the US and being low paid, it makes it hard to survive.

If you owned an apartment buiilding wouldn't you want someone who can be relied to pay their rent on time? I would.

It's not all high profit being a landlord. There are overheads such as the cost of repairs and maintenance, utilities to be paid such as water, gas and electricity and high property taxes to be paid to the county and dont forget the landlord him'/herself also may have a morgage to pay on the property

The working poor in the US can always qualify for Government Section 8 housing, rental assistance and food stamps

As for insurance premiums they can be higher in poorer areas because insurance companies claim that there is a higher rate of accidents in these areas. Its' unfortunate for those who have clean driving records. In California such practices were outlawed long ago but it's a fact that if driving in a "socially dodgy area" you could become much more likely to be involved in an accident than in a more affluent one.

If you owned an apartment buiilding wouldn't you want someone who can be relied to pay their rent on time? I would.

It's not all high profit being a landlord. There are overheads such as the cost of repairs and maintenance, utilities to be paid such as water, gas and electricity and high property taxes to be paid to the county and dont forget the landlord him'/herself also may have a morgage to pay on the property

The working poor in the US can always qualify for Government Section 8 housing, rental assistance and food stamps

As for insurance premiums they can be higher in poorer areas because insurance companies claim that there is a higher rate of accidents in these areas. Its' unfortunate for those who have clean driving records. In California such practices were outlawed long ago but it's a fact that if driving in a "socially dodgy area" you could become much more likely to be involved in an accident than in a more affluent one.

I speak from experience.

I got into some financial trouble when I was young and ruined my own credit. This debt made it impossible for me to do more than customer service (and even at that point was still struggling) I couldnt get a job to earn enough to pay off my debt and my debt kept growing as I was unable to meet payments.

I lived at home, in a good area, and had a clean driving record. I was still paying loads for basic coverage on my car (think $1500 for 6 months and with paying upfront). Rent, something that is a priority and wouldnt default on, was impossible to find - even with my parents co-signing on a shared place. I know why properties do the credit checks, but if they speak to previous places theyve rented from as a reference surely that counts for something?

Because I earned too much and owned a car, I didnt qualify for any assistance from NYS or PA.

I speak from experience.

I got into some financial trouble when I was young and ruined my own credit. This debt made it impossible for me to do more than customer service (and even at that point was still struggling) I couldnt get a job to earn enough to pay off my debt and my debt kept growing as I was unable to meet payments.

I lived at home, in a good area, and had a clean driving record. I was still paying loads for basic coverage on my car (think $1500 for 6 months and with paying upfront). Rent, something that is a priority and wouldnt default on, was impossible to find - even with my parents co-signing on a shared place. I know why properties do the credit checks, but if they speak to previous places theyve rented from as a reference surely that counts for something?

Because I earned too much and owned a car, I didnt qualify for any assistance from NYS or PA.

What kind of job/ profession were you in? You mentioned getting a college degree earlier.

Archived