Can they make us pay?

Right, my son was a member of a gym for 12 months, to cancel the membership you had to give 3 months notice, to which he did and he received a letter confirming this, and it stated the last payment would be taken on the 3rd working day of January, so, all good, he cancelled the direct debit at the end of January, anyway, he has received a letter saying the February payment couldnt be taken out, and that he still owes that months. Do we have to pay it, even with the confirmation letter, dated October last year? Thanks :)

Right, my son was a member of a gym for 12 months, to cancel the membership you had to give 3 months notice, to which he did and he received a letter confirming this, and it stated the last payment would be taken on the 3rd working day of January, so, all good, he cancelled the direct debit at the end of January, anyway, he has received a letter saying the February payment couldnt be taken out, and that he still owes that months. Do we have to pay it, even with the confirmation letter, dated October last year? Thanks :)

If he can prove he gave 3 months paid notice he should be fine. He should contact the gym and explain that as far as he's concerned he's abided by the terms of the contract. It may be just an admin error on the gym's part.

If he can prove he gave 3 months paid notice he should be fine. He should contact the gym and explain that as far as he's concerned he's abided by the terms of the contract. It may be just an admin error on the gym's part.

Thats what i was hoping :) thankyou.

Might be a computer generated letter....automatically sent out when it doesn't have a payment to match up to.......computers are great but are only as good as the person feeding the information in. Good luck!

Also gyms will try anything to keep you paying, and some have recently been under investigation from OFT for their tactics. Article here.

So if you are adamant that you have abided by the rules, then just ring them up to clarify.

Well, my partner said, sometimes they leave it a while until membership has ended thinking you will have thrown all paper work away, then try it on, so we shall see, i keep phoning and getting told i need to speak to a certain guy, but he,s always on the bloody phone, so its not sorted yet.

Well, my partner said, sometimes they leave it a while until membership has ended thinking you will have thrown all paper work away, then try it on, so we shall see, i keep phoning and getting told i need to speak to a certain guy, but he,s always on the bloody phone, so its not sorted yet.

In which case, I'd write to them. Set your case out clearly and calmly. Send them copies of any evidence that you have. Then ask them to get in touch with you.

Keep a copy of your letter.

Write them a letter, or send them an email. Attach copies of the agreement and if that doesn't do the trick, consider making an official complaint.

Archived