Can they make us pay?

Right, my son was a member of a gym for 12 months, to cancel the membership you had to give 3 months notice, to which he did and he received a letter confirming this, and it stated the last payment would be taken on the 3rd working day of January, so, all good, he cancelled the direct debit at the end of January, anyway, he has received a letter saying the February payment couldnt be taken out, and that he still owes that months. Do we have to pay it, even with the confirmation letter, dated October last year? Thanks :)
./'

I think it's up to the gym to cancel the direct debit not you.

I did something similar and got a computer generated letter asking for payment (it was my fault and I did owe them the money) so I paid.

Edit. You can cancel standing orders.

./'

I think it's up to the gym to cancel the direct debit not you.

I did something similar and got a computer generated letter asking for payment (it was my fault and I did owe them the money) so I paid.

Edit. You can cancel standing orders.

You can cancel a direct debit, but that doesn't prevent the gym from sending a request for it; it just means the bank will automatically turn it down.

The gym is responsible for stopping itself sending any more requests, you're correct in that sense. But that is not the OP's concern, and they have no right to be harassing her, or her son, for any further payments.

At a risk of having another post deleted (not from this thread) would not the first thing to do when receiving the letter is ring the Gym?!?

Do not send a letter or email these can be left in intrays and inboxes for days before reply.

Whats wrong with actually talking to someone? If he has proof that the Jan payment would be the last one made then its probably just an error.

At a risk of having another post deleted (not from this thread) would not the first thing to do when receiving the letter is ring the Gym?!?

They have tried:

i keep phoning and getting told i need to speak to a certain guy, but he,s always on the bloody phone, so its not sorted yet.

Do not send a letter or email these can be left in intrays and inboxes for days before reply.

Whats wrong with actually talking to someone? If he has proof that the Jan payment would be the last one made then its probably just an error.

That was the first thing i did if you read my posts, couldnt get to speak to the person needed as he was always busy. Anyway, he eventually called back last night, he tried telling me the payment was up until March, so i read him the letter dated October last year, he then said, oh, well, if you have that, then there is nothing i can do, so i will put the payment back to February and it will be cancelled, so good outcome in the end :D

That was the first thing i did if you read my posts, couldnt get to speak to the person needed as he was always busy. Anyway, he eventually called back last night, he tried telling me the payment was up until March, so i read him the letter dated October last year, he then said, oh, well, if you have that, then there is nothing i can do, so i will put the payment back to February and it will be cancelled, so good outcome in the end :D

So, they were trying it on :suspect:

Archived