Interest Free Credit. What is the point?

Id be glad to pay interest free, because I have learnt over the years that if anything goes wrong with your purchase you have more chance of getting it rectified if it brakes etc when you owe them money, than if you have paid outright for the item...

It'll be the finance company you owe not the furniture store..

So long as there is effectively no flexibility on price/taking an agreement per the OP, and you want the item and none other, and are happy with the asking price, then 0% is great.

Put your ready-cash in an interest-generating account, set a DD on that account to pay off the monthly amount, get some interest from your ready cash over the term of the agreement, and forget about it (and the ins and outs of the why/how/etc.).

Done this plenty of times with IKEA, M&S, etc. ourselves, without any hassle whatsoever.

Do this often enough on the same '0% account' (basically, anytime you need to buy a big-ticket item, and the opportunity of 0% is there for the right item at the right price) and it soon accumulates nicely.

What's the problem?

It'll be the finance company you owe not the furniture store..

Yes I know that but you have them on your side when it comes to the furniture company not fixing problems you have, I only know this because my first settee I bought was paid outright and I had a problem with it, they werent interested at all because they had my money. I purchased another settee and got it on there finance because of my previous experience, and something went wrong with that one, at first they didnt want to know until I made them aware that the finance company and them were both liable and guess what the finance company got in touch with them and they couldnt of been more helpful. (the settees were bought from different companies.)

Id be glad to pay interest free, because I have learnt over the years that if anything goes wrong with your purchase you have more chance of getting it rectified if it brakes etc when you owe them money, than if you have paid outright for the item...

If you have the cash it's better to pay for the item on a credit card and then pay the balance with your cash. Then you have two people to chase if it breaks. I've claimed from Visa for something previously and it was really easy. I also copied Visa into a claim I made against a holiday company, they helped me take the holiday company to small claims.

If you have the cash it's better to pay for the item on a credit card and then pay the balance with your cash. Then you have two people to chase if it breaks. I've claimed from Visa for something previously and it was really easy. I also copied Visa into a claim I made against a holiday company, they helped me take the holiday company to small claims.

I have just made nearly the same point you have :)

Archived