Healthcare is this what Cameron wants?

We are not quite there but how many people don't visit the dentist these days as they can'y afford to. Even if lucky to get an NHS dentist it isn't free (unless on benefits) and you still havr to pay for a check-up.

Also how many people can afford to be ill? Okay you don't have to pay to visit your GP - yet! But prescription items costing over £7 an item soon mounts up. I very rarely need to visit my GP but the last visit cost me £22. I appreciate that for people who take regular medication there are pre payment prescriptions but for one offs it can be a lot of money to be found. I know that I only go to the doctor's when it is really bad. I can't afford to be ill.

Here we go again. The loony left ignoring history, reality and facts in equal measure in the name of Tory bashing. You folks just never tire of being wrong do you?

Under 13 years of Labour the cost of the NHS tripled but the output of the NHS only increased marginally. The cost of the NHS rose from £40bn to it's current £120bn. Most of the money went on union inspired wage rises and internal bureaucracy, not improvements in healthcare. After cancer and heart disease the NHS is the biggest killer in the UK. It is a totally unaccountable organisation.

No right thinking person believes the NHS gives value for money. Of course the lefty BBC are going to criticise the Tories after they had their licence tax (sorry, fee) frozen and were told to spend less.

The NHS is just another wasteful public sector organisation employing far more poeople than it needs to just to keep the unemployment figures down.

Here we go again. The loony left ignoring history, reality and facts in equal measure in the name of Tory bashing. You folks just never tire of being wrong do you?

Under 13 years of Labour the cost of the NHS tripled but the output of the NHS only increased marginally. The cost of the NHS rose from £40bn to it's current £120bn. Most of the money went on union inspired wage rises and internal bureaucracy, not improvements in healthcare. After cancer and heart disease the NHS is the biggest killer in the UK. It is a totally unaccountable organisation.

No right thinking person believes the NHS gives value for money. Of course the lefty BBC are going to criticise the Tories after they had their licence tax (sorry, fee) frozen and were told to spend less.

The NHS is just another wasteful public sector organisation employing far more poeople than it needs to just to keep the unemployment figures down.

So, the Royal College of GPs, the RCN, the BMA, the Royal College of Physiotherapists are all the "loony left"? Bizarre

Can you explain how these reforms will make the NHS more efficient? £3.4bn is being spent on changes which will actually increase the levels of bureaucracy. How is that an effective way to spend public money?

Under 13 years of Labour the cost of the NHS tripled but the output of the NHS only increased marginally.

Apparently it's just a case of throwing money at it. Never mind where it goes (extra layers of management and bureaucracy) just keep pumping in more cash.

Results not what was hoped for? Pump more money in.

After all, we've got plenty to spare.

No right thinking person believes the NHS gives value for money.

The NHS spends around 8% of GDP to provide healthcare to all citizens. Compare that to the percentage of GDP spent on healthcare in other countries, the coverage in those countries, and the outcomes.

The NHS could be more efficient but in comparison to other systems it works very well overall. And yes, I have had experience of other healthcare systems and as a patient they were bureaucratic and inefficient.

This thread is just like the one last week about Cameron remarking on a tax scheme in Sweden (or somewhere).

Next minute the foaming at the mouth brigade have read loads into it and going nuts about something that isn't happening, nor probably will happen.

If you want to point fingers, have a look at Welsh Labour and their cuts on the NHS:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/02/13/concerns-over-surge-in-welsh-nhs-staff-taking-time-off-because-of-stress-91466-30317994/

We are not quite there but how many people don't visit the dentist these days as they can'y afford to. Even if lucky to get an NHS dentist it isn't free (unless on benefits) and you still havr to pay for a check-up.

Look after your teeth and it costs about £16 every six months for a check up.

Please tell me exactly who can't afford that, and show me their outgoings and I bet I can find where these poor people could find the 61p they'd need to put aside each week.

This thread is just like the one last week about Cameron remarking on a tax scheme in Sweden (or somewhere).

Next minute the foaming at the mouth brigade have read loads into it and going nuts about something that isn't happening, nor probably will happen.

If you want to point fingers, have a look at Welsh Labour and their cuts on the NHS:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2012/02/13/concerns-over-surge-in-welsh-nhs-staff-taking-time-off-because-of-stress-91466-30317994/

But it's not about the cuts, is it? There are clearly efficiency savings to be made in the NHS, and it would be a rare public body that wasn't taking cuts. The real problem, according to such foaming at the mouth brigaders as the BMA, the Royal College of GPs, the Royal College of Midvives, etc etc, is that there is no justification for such a top-down restructuring, that will cost over 3% of the NHS's budget, introduce additional layers of quangos and, ultimately, make life very difficult for patients who are designated as high risk or difficult to treat.

(It will,however, make a lot of money for the shareholders of companies such as Care UK, who have made a considerable donation to Andrew Lansley's private office.)

So, the Royal College of GPs, the RCN, the BMA, the Royal College of Physiotherapists are all the "loony left"? Bizarre

Can you explain how these reforms will make the NHS more efficient? £3.4bn is being spent on changes which will actually increase the levels of bureaucracy. How is that an effective way to spend public money?

Obviously the royal colleges are vested interests and will resist change. The idea that they work in the best interests of patients is laughable. I have personal experience of dealing with some of the brightest and best from a number of royal colleges and they always put themselves before all else.

As for the cost of the change being £3.4bn; where do you get that figure from? Andy Burnham?

Can I just point out that Labour never left the NHS alone in their 13 years. They introduced initiative after initiative and reorganisation after reorganisation and a £12bn IT system the royal colleges and everyone else in the NHS didn't want.

Archived