Irony, thy name is Warsi

Militant secularism a threat to religion, says Warsi

Britain is under threat from a rising tide of "militant secularisation", a cabinet minister has warned.

Religion is being "sidelined, marginalised and downgraded in the public sphere", Conservative co-chairwoman Baroness Warsi wrote in an article for the Daily Telegraph.

The irony is; in a non-secular, Christian government I doubt we'd have a Cabinet Minister who was Muslim and female. If she's worried about secularism she should step down.

Britain is under threat from a rising tide of "militant secularisation", a cabinet minister has warned.

Religion is being "sidelined, marginalised and downgraded in the public sphere", Conservative co-chairwoman Baroness Warsi wrote in an article for the Daily Telegraph.

The irony is; in a non-secular, Christian government I doubt we'd have a Cabinet Minister who was Muslim and female. If she's worried about secularism she should step down.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are wrong, so, so wrong. Minority religions thrive in Christian country's.

How would a Muslim, or someone from any other faith, become a cabinet minister in a truly/strictly secular country??

But they do now. So that's surely the relevant bit in terms of policy priorities now. You know, same reason we don't inter Germans and Italians anymore, the moments passed and all that.

The question is: why has the moment passed? The answer is: because of secularism's restraining influence on religious government. There are still vestiges of the old religiosity, for example; our monarch has to be an Anglican and can't be a Catholic. That's not a secular rule, it's a legacy from before the rise of active secularism. If Warsi doesn't like secularism then she should be true to her views and step down.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are wrong, so, so wrong. Minority religions thrive in Christian country's.

How would a Muslim, or someone from any other faith, become a cabinet minister in a truly/strictly secular country??

Could you give me a couple of examples of such non-secular, Christian countries, please?

Couldn't agree more.

It seems aggressive atheists are on a par with their religious extremist 'brethren'.

She is quite right, the rabid atheists are as much raving fundamentalists as religious totalitarians.

Archived