Who do I report an accountant to that has fraudulently got credit?

In cases of suspected fraud, they're answerable to the police. His professional body will get involved if, and after, he is convicted of a crime.

There is more than one professional body for accountants, I believe; that's why they varying combinations of letters after their name. I don't know any of the details, though, and I might be wrong altogether, but none of that need concern you at this point. Your call is to the police.

I'm meaning more of an official route - ie/ who are Accountants accountable to?

accounting regulatory bodies:

http://www.businessaccountingbasics.co.uk/accounting-regulatory-bodies.html

however, accountants aren't regulated to the same level as solicitors are so as you are alleging fraud then you should really be reporting this to the police

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't being deliberately lazy! I just know there are tax men/solicitors on here who might know how to show me a short cut!

Wanting to know which professional body to report him to is not a ridiculous thing to be asking; I don't intend to criticise you by saying "just go to the police."

A professional body is unlikely to get involved until after the court case - other than that he may be suspended while a fraud case was ongoing, but he certainly wouldn't be struck off until after a guilty verdict came down. You can't be expected to have known that already, so there's no foolishness for asking and no offence intended by telling you. :cool:

Archived