Without the Monarchy in place,who would you choose for President?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor

In name perhaps?

If a Yorkshireman was called Hans Schweinegger, because his lineage was most definitely German, and he then changed his name to jones in the 20th century, don't you think people would still consider him German?

No they wouldnt. Not if they had a grain of common sense that is. You're born in a country, brought up and educated in that country, speak the language, swear allegience to it and live by the culture. That's all that matters. Names on the other hand dont matter a damn.

How many Yorkshire guys I knew before and during the army who had names that came from Wales, Ireland or Scotland yet born and bred in Yorkshire and English to the core.

I happen to have an Irish mother and an English father and born in England. Mixed blood like the Queen. Does my mixed blood disqaulify me from being English?

[/b]

No they wouldnt. Not if they had a grain of common sense that is. You're born in a country, brought up and educated in that country, speak the language, swear allegience to it and live by the culture. That's all that matters. Names on the other hand dont matter a damn.

How many Yorkshire guys I knew before and during the army who had names that came from Wales, Ireland or Scotland yet born and bred in Yorkshire and English to the core.

I happen to have an Irish mother and an English father and born in England. Mixed blood like the Queen. Does my mixed blood disqaulify me from being English?

I have Irish roots on my fathers side and am proud of that, in spite of that i am proud of being English and a staunch Royalist,duel loyalties in one respect i suppose.

Incidentally,we used to hear the Kennedy family referred to as the "American Royals" I expect that was before all the scandals became public.

Are their offspring behaving themselves these days?

Yours much the same as mine but how many others on here can claim the same?

BTW the German Hanovarian King George the First became King of England because England's Queen Anne died childless and George was related to the family in some way.

Queen Elizabeth while having some German blood through ancestry also has Scots blood on her mother's side

I know, I dont mean it really about The Queen, it just does you good to get some bile off your chest about them.

As all people at my age say, she reminds us of our mothers.

Let us just hope she outlives Charles.

It would be terrible if she didnt.

[/b]

No. But the fact you've emigrated to another country and seemingly adopted all their values, opinions and viewpoints and refer to the Americans as "us" might do though :)

English nobility have been "foreign" to people they rule for centuries. Upper classes have their own little gene pool. Being half Irish half English doesn't really compare to that at all.

The squaddy history explains why you're an ardent monarchist also.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Windsor

In name perhaps?

If a Yorkshireman was called Hans Schweinegger, because his lineage was most definitely German, and he then changed his name to jones in the 20th century, don't you think people would still consider him German?

I know what you mean here.

Not many people know that Queen Victoria had great difficulty speaking English.

She spoke with a German accent, that is why her voice was never recorded, even though that technology was easily available before she died.

The so called recieved pronunciation, wich all the royalty used to speak in prior to the 80's was a result of this.

It was a result of trying to get shut of their German accents.

Before this the Monarchs used to speak in local accents, depending on where they were brought up.

I know, I dont mean it really about The Queen, it just does you good to get some bile off your chest about them.

As all people at my age say, she reminds us of our mothers.

Let us just hope she outlives Charles.

It would be terrible if she didnt.

We're getting to know you a bit better, we know you like winding people up. :hihi:

I know what you mean here.

Not many people know that Queen Victoria had great difficulty speaking English.

She spoke with a German accent, that is why her voice was never recorded, even though that technology was easily available before she died.

The so called recieved pronunciation, wich all the royalty used to speak in prior to the 80's was a result of this.

It was a result of trying to get shut of their German accents.

Before this the Monarchs used to speak in local accents, depending on where they were brought up.

King George the Sixth had great difficulty speaking at all but that didnt stop him being King

King George the Sixth had great difficulty speaking at all but that didnt stop him being King

Caused by received pronunciation, and making him write with his right hand whan he was left handed.

My own mother came through this punishment, and was ambidextrous after it all.

It was amazing to see her write as well with both hands as not many of us can do.

Archived