Tickets for bands playing at the Greystone Public House

foxy lady

Since the Highcliffe re-opened as the Greystone we have been on several occassions to watch various bands play.

However last time we tried to buy tickets at the pub we were told that they no longer sell tickets to see bands playing in their own pub and we would need to buy through "the agent".

I can't help thinking some pubs don't want trade. We probably won't bother in future.

I think that's because most of the bands that play there don't have physical tickets that they could sell from behind the bar anymore . They use virtual tickets via sites such as these:

http://www.wegottickets.com/faqs/1#faq

Looks like the booking fee is 10%, which I don't think is really that bad.

To be honest, I'd rather have the ease of buying virtual tickets without having to go to the pub itself or worry about postage etc.. and I also guess the customers they lose will be offset by those who prefer the convenience of virtual tickets.

Last year I went to see Tir Na Nog there. Went to the pub, bought the tickets and it was a tenner. This year they're coming again in March, but now you have to get the tickets through the website. £10 + £1 booking fee, for which you don't actually get a physical ticket anyway. Result: I'm not bothering to go this time because I disagree with booking fees on principle as a complete rip off.

It's not exactly an enormous venue - surely it would be easier to keep track of how many you'd sold physically rather than having to do it through a website.

Wonder if they've noticed a drop off in numbers since they did this. If you're reading this thread, owners, this will be the reason why.

We went to see Hank and Brad there a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I know it can be a pain getting these tickets, but a good night out is worth it. We are hoping to see Terry Reid there soon if we haven't missed it already, as like Andy Roberts (see "brad" above) Terry played in the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival over 41 years ago. My father-in-law took side and backstage photos of the whole Isle of Wight event and we are now trying to get new photos of those same artists who are still performing today, to put on our photo library and archive website.

Its been a big journey sorting these historical images out, but thanks to venues like the Greystones, bands such as the aforementioned can still play a good sized venue, and photographers like us can still get great shots without being controlled as we would do at larger venues.

There's a comedy gig first thursday of every month. There was a sign on the bar saying that tickets only available online. So I go online and look up the gig "Merry Hell" it's called and I phone this number. There was no reply and no answerphone. I tried again later and got through to a woman who told me that I'd phoned the wrong number. I said it was the number on the website and she said I needed to phone a different number. So I did. And I got through to an answerphone and it said "do you want Lescar or Greystones" and I pressed 1 whatever for Greystones - and then it said how many tickets and I put in 2 - and then it said - 'collect on the door'.

So we go along and get there for about 7.15 (because it said 7.30 start on the website) and ask for our tickets and they say - there's no tickets you just give your name.

The gig didn't start until 8.30.

We gave our name on the door and they let us in. It wasn't full by any stretch.

We had a good time and it's a great pub - but all that messing about going online, phoning two different numbers, leaving messages on answerphones and stuff - I mean, why make it hard for people to come and spend money with you?

Archived