Tickets for bands playing at the Greystone Public House

foxy lady

Tickets for most shows, including Tir Na Nog and Terry Reid, are available on line through WeGotTickets or in person from box offices at City Hall, Lyceum, Crucible, Arena and Record Collector.

I must agree with some on here though, it's madness for the place to stop selling tickets for their gigs. I know for sure many people called in to buy tickets and stayed for a pint so they've not only lost out on revenue but goodwill as well because many think if the pub can't be bothered why should the fans.

That was a right palaver by the sound of it, DT - I think I'd have given up on that one before you did!!. I take back all I said about a bit of hassle being worth it if thats what you have to go through!- for a regular venue like that they should do first come first served. When they did that at the Lescar it was always full to the rafters!

That does sound like a palaver Derby Tup and we hope that our changes to bookings have made it better.

You obviously encountered some problems. I don't know why the pub had a sign on the bar saying that tickets were available online. We've never yet sold tickets for The Merry Hell online. And I'm unclear as to which website said that the show started at 7.30 as our website has always said Doors 8.00pm, Show 8.30 pm. And we would never go down the hellish route of automated phone systems. Our answerphone just used to say "tell us which show you want, and how many tickets, and we'll hold them on the door for you". It ran for The Lescar and The Greystones, and it's run broadly like that for the last twenty years. We've only ever operated a reservation list, we've never sold tickets in advance.

That's changed as of now, for a variety of reasons. Number 1 is speculative bookings. People would phone up and reserve 10 tickets, then try and round up some mates. If the mates didn't come, we were 10 people light. Obviously we over reserved to compensate for this, but some weeks we could get decimated. One night in November we had 100 booked for The Lescar, and only 41 turned up. We'd been turning people away from that show for a week.

We've never run "first come, first served", as people like to know they're going to get in if they're organising a big night out, so it's important that they can book.

Selling tickets behind the bar is a minefield. Someone like The Greystones probably has 20 or 30 events live and onsale at anyone time. The gigs will all be promoted by different people, so that means 20 or 30 people's cash knocking around at one time. The responsibility for all that cash would lie with The Greystones, and the administration of it would be too difficult, as well as having books of tickets all over the place.

Our next gig is the first at The Greystones where we have used wegottickets.com . We've used it for the past two weeks at The Lescar and it's been brilliant. Yes, there's an 80p per ticket booking fee, but there's no more queueing up the stairs whilst we take money off people at the door. You just turn up, come in and sit down. People seem to really like the convenience of shopping online, we had our busiest week since October last week. And for the first time ever we can take advance bookings. We've sold tickets for The Lescar for the next seven weeks, and The Greystones has already half sold out for March 1st.

It's early days for us with wegottickets. We still have ten tickets left on the door for walkups, but so far it looks like the good points of using an online agency far outweigh the bad ones.

• 2 months later...

The Greystones are selling tickets again over the bar (between opening and 6pm). It's not for every gig though, just depends on what arrangements individual promoters have made.

All WagonWheel shows for May/June/July are on sale there now (Whitehorse May 27th, Amelia Curran June 25th, Otis Gibbs July 11th). Our shows for later in the year will be available there soon (as soon as i've had chance to get tickets printed up!).

http://www.wagonwheelmedia.co.uk

Archived