"Excessive Drinking the scandal of our Society"

They might not be carrying their papers.

When i looked at your link again,i saw that it was a counter-reaction article in response to the Cameron news issue yesterday.An interview with a chief executive of the association of drinks producers.The statistics may show that the consumption of alcohol has lowered since 2002 (according to the article) but looking at that chart the rise since 1947 has risen highly.

You then went on to open a thread which implies that young people have stopped drinking and there isn't a problem when you know full well there is.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8585696&postcount=15

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8585708&postcount=17

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8585656&postcount=10

I think anyone causing aggro down town at the weekend, or needing treatment because of something drink-related should be sprayed in the face with indelible purple paint.

Then they can suffer the shame of their crime when sober and if they want some special paint remover then it'll be £500 thankyouverymuch.

I think anyone causing aggro down town at the weekend, or needing treatment because of something drink-related should be sprayed in the face with indelible purple paint.

Then they can suffer the shame of their crime when sober and if they want some special paint remover then it'll be £500 thankyouverymuch.

Hallelujah to that,the best idea i've heard in years,it should be passed as law.

Thats what David Cameron has said.

Do you think he is right to want to tackle the problem of excessive drinking? which is apparently getting much worse.

Its said to cost the NHS 2.5 billion a year.We have all seen the pictures on our tv screens of what the Town centres are like at the weekends,and A&E departments filled with abusive drunks.Then there are all the crimes associated with alcohol abuse.Yet in todays culture it seems be considered perfectly acceptable to drink excessively instead of moderately.

Most of us like to have a few drinks on a social occasion,or the odd glass or two at home..nothing wrong with that,and we've all been young once!

Isn't time though to take the whole matter more seriously and encourage more responsibility instead of turning a blind eye to it all.

The tax paid by the people who drink more than covers the cost, although that doesn't mean we should just ignore any problems.

Is it perfectly acceptable (socially) to end up in A&E or to start a fight in the city centre? I don't think it is amongst most of society.

Archived