Residents Set Up Fake Speed Camera

A Resident of a Nottinghamshire village has set up a "Fake" speed camera on his land at the side of a main road through his village ,where he claims motorists are travelling at speeds of up to 130 MPH on motorbikes :suspect:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-16883058

The council say they cant make him remove it as its on his land ,but he could end up in court if someone has a smash after being distracted by the "Fake" camera.

I don't believe that one bit. If that were true, surely a driver distracted by a real one and ending up in a smash could take the Safety Camera Partnership/Police/Council to court?

I don't believe that one bit. If that were true, surely a driver distracted by a real one and ending up in a smash could take the Safety Camera Partnership/Police/Council to court?

In theory yes, but the court would dismiss any claim of being distracted by something which is allowed to be on the roadside and was officially placed there.

They would not, necessarily, dismiss a claim of being distracted by something which has not been officially approved. They should, in my opinion - but my opinion is not law.

neither do I as its over hanging public land from the look of it.

According to the BBC, there has been no fatal accidents in his village for at least the past 11 years, so why don't they just raise the speed limit if everyone is going 60 anyway and not dying?

Just seems a little odd that he'd want to put himself liable for blame for a crash in an area where nobody has died on the road in his village in over a decade anyway?

:loopy:

A Resident of a Nottinghamshire village has set up a "Fake" speed camera on his land at the side of a main road through his village ,where he claims motorists are travelling at speeds of up to 130 MPH on motorbikes :suspect:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-16883058

The council say they cant make him remove it as its on his land ,but he could end up in court if someone has a smash after being distracted by the "Fake" camera.

So if the camera was real (and provided for by the Council), and someone had a crash, they (the Council) could also end up in court since the camera was a distraction ? :cool:

So if the camera was real (and provided for by the Council), and someone had a crash, they (the Council) could also end up in court since the camera was a distraction ? :cool:

As I mentioned above, they could not lose the case. The legal precedent is, in a nutshell, that things which are authorised to be there cannot cause a distraction but things which are not authorised can do so.

It's a patently ridiculous position - either yellow boxes can distract people or they can't. Nevertheless, the legal position is well established.

I do the a614 and a616 daily and although some sections it's 50mph people don't. The thing is round there the policing is pathetic and in the 10 times a week for an hour a time I'm on them roads , I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I see a police car per year ( unless mopping up bodies from speeders which I've seen plenty of ).

You are kinda getting in real rural roads here with very heavy farm traffic which acts almost like speed calming measures in itself.

Archived